New SSD, questions on system set up

happytonamy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Hello,

I recently purchased a samsung 840 250GB SSD and have installed in it my computer. I took out my old WD Black 640GB drive and put a fresh install of Win 7 Ultimate on the SSD. I backed up my data I wanted to keep by transferring it to my laptop (which i'm using to write this) and a removable HD. I did not have the WD Black drive connected when I did the fresh install of Win 7 on my SSD.

Here are my questions:

1. Is it possible to connect my WD Black drive back to the MB and have it register as a different drive letter (it was C: since it was my main drive) since the SSD is now registered as C:?

2. Will it affect the WD Black drive if i have my system set to AHCI to get the fastest speed possible out of the SSD?

3. Is it possible to have the SSD drive boot up and format the WD drive if i can't save the data on it or do i need to put boot'n'nuke on a flash drive and only have the WD drive connected and make it boot off a thumb drive to format it?

Thank you for your help.

1. You should be able to connect the WD drive to the motherboard and Windows should assign it a new drive letter. Just make sure the SSD is chosen in the BIOS as the first boot device.
2. The WD drive shouldn't be affected since you won't be booting from that drive. I think it would only be a problem if you were using the WD as a boot drive since ACHI was not enabled on the original installation of Win 7.
3. You should be able to format the WD drive from inside of Windows. You may want to consider formatting the WD drive to free up the space occupied by the Win 7 installation on it.
If, after you have tried reinstalling the WD drive, you have any problems please let me know.

happytonamy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010

happytonamy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
I plugged my WD Black drive back in and it assigned it to G. It keeps saying I need admin access to use it, but I'm able to move around those last few things I forgot to transfer before I format it. Thanks for you answer.