Sign in with
Your question

Huge Fps drops in games

Last response: in CPUs
August 17, 2013 8:30:33 AM

I think there's a lot of threads on this issue but they were no help to me, basically when I game I get huge FPS drops. My computer will normally run them at around 30-60Fps and then about 20 minutes in it will drop to about 5 Fps and stay this way for about 5 mins and return back to normal and it repeats. This started about 2 months ago and started only on a couple games like league of legends and some disc games, now it affects all games such as minecraft, ghost recon online and others.

I'm kinda sure it's not my graphics drivers as I updated them and they still lagg and I also tried downgrading them and the problem still occurs.

I'm also sure it's not a random program I installed as I uninstalled everything and even did a factory reset and the problem still happens.

I'm sure it's not overclocking or under locking as I used CPU z to check the CPU and its fine.

One other thing though is that while playin normally at about 30-60 fps my CPU will operate at around 70-100% with out lag and once the fps drops one of my cores will drop below 50% and will stay there while the other core maxes out at 100%. Which is unusual as both cores notmally operate at about 80% each as I said and they rarely max out.

I should also say that I play on minimal settings and also I tried tweaking the system settings like I disabled power saver mode, switched to active cooling policy and even set minimal CPU process to 100% and set my computer to high performance mode to try to get rid of it, which all did nothing

I think it might be a heat issue but my cores operate at about 40-50 degrees Celsius but there's this strange thing I'm noticing, everytime it reaches 50^C or above then it will start lagging or when the lag comes, i check the temp and its always about 48-49 degrees - would this be the problem and how can I solve it? I'm sure ny CPU can work fine above 50 degrees as last year when I didn't clean the fans it went up to about 80 degrees and still worked fine

More about : huge fps drops games

a b à CPUs
August 17, 2013 9:11:23 AM

how big is your power supply?
and have you been keeping check on temperatures of your graphics card and CPU?
August 17, 2013 12:34:05 PM

aidanklenk said:
how big is your power supply?
and have you been keeping check on temperatures of your graphics card and CPU?

Ye I monitor the temps as I play, it usually rises quickly to about 45 oC and slowly rises to 50 oC and as far as I know, once it reaches 50oC the fps drops start and the CPU usage of one of the cores drops massively while the other maxes out. And it goes back to normal after a while( I think once the temperature decreases again) like I said I'm sure it's not a heat issue as months ago I use to run this pc at temps of 50-70 oC without lag and was running perfectly. I also have smart fans which speed up and slow down accordingly but I've noticed they don't run at the faster speeds it used to at higher temps
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 17, 2013 1:50:11 PM

Surprisingly, it could still be a heat problem. Do you use dust off?
Besides heat, have you taken the processor out to see for bent pins?
It seems like if its not one of those, then it would be a GPU problem unless there is something I missed.
I'll reread what you wrote and see if I can think of anything else.

Another thing! How big is your hard drive and how much unused storage is left on it?
August 18, 2013 8:19:20 AM

aidanklenk said:
Surprisingly, it could still be a heat problem. Do you use dust off?
Besides heat, have you taken the processor out to see for bent pins?
It seems like if its not one of those, then it would be a GPU problem unless there is something I missed.
I'll reread what you wrote and see if I can think of anything else.

Another thing! How big is your hard drive and how much unused storage is left on it?

I have 2 500gb hard drives so 1tb total and One has about 400gb free other has about 100gb free. Might be a gpu problem but unsure how I can check

!