Closed

Ubuntu Edge Raises $10 Million on Indiegogo

17 answers Last reply
More about ubuntu edge raises million indiegogo
  1. Even at $830 this phone is a bargain, if it has a reasonable x86 CPU inside. Pair it with a dockable monitor, Bluetooth mouse and keyboard and you have a full blown all purpose solution, at about the same price as ASUS's padfone but with significantly more functionality.
  2. WANT. I gave them $5 :)
  3. I do not believe it will be x86 more likely a chip on par with tegra 5 or greater if the chip lives of to its expectations, I personally hope that both Intel and arm can make great advances in technology to make my personal dream of playing Dolphin on my phone possible.
  4. Even at $830 this phone is a bargain, if it has a reasonable x86 CPU inside. Pair it with a dockable monitor, Bluetooth mouse and keyboard and you have a full blown all purpose solution, at about the same price as ASUS's padfone but with significantly more functionality.
  5. You know what you really make smartphones great? If Google and generally developers would really optimize the OS and apps to fully exploit the hardware.

    Now, we have quad-core phones with apps that barely know how to use properly use 1 core and how to barely use 2 cores.

    The closest thing to optimisation now is Windows Phone 7.8 and 8. Mostly all apps run on 1 GHz CPUs and 256 ram, and if not, on Dual-Core 1 GHz cpus and 512 ram. Everything!
  6. chumly said:
    WANT. I gave them $5 :)


    You can't get it for $5.
  7. I'd buy it for sure :D running Ubuntu 12.10 right now.
  8. So no Win 8 support then.
  9. otacon72 said:
    The .01% market share Linux has will come in handy. What a useless device. If it was $99 might pick it up as a toy.

    Why should it be priced at $99? Do you know where to get a similar device for that price? If you do then please do, then tell me where to find it! If you're just trolling, then I suggest you get off your computer a go get a life...

    Also your mathematical skills are awesome, considering you can't tell the difference between a market share of about 1% with 0.01%. And that is while excluding Android, because whether you like it or not Android is Linux. And if Linux is that bad why on earth are tons of mission critical servers running linux? Why is the backbone of the internet almost entirely comprised of linux/unix servers?
  10. I am looking at getting a new phone soon, had this thing been out then, I would of got one at the drop of a hat
  11. My biggest fear would be it being outdated either very rapidly after release or perhaps even before it hits the market with general availability.
  12. pyro226 said:
    My biggest fear would be it being outdated either very rapidly after release or perhaps even before it hits the market with general availability.


    The specs aren't finalised, so it can't really be outdated. It will get whatever is available at the time of production that fits within the production budget.
  13. Am I the only one who uses Phone to actually call people?
  14. tadej petric said:
    Am I the only one who uses Phone to actually call people?


    The Ubuntu Edge is a capable phone that can, surprisingly, actually call people. Now that I think about it, I haven't come across a phone that doesn't have this functionality.
  15. "Canonical notes that it has also broken the record for largest ever amount sourced from crowdfunding (previously held by Pebble Watch over Kickstarter with $10,266,844)"

    If they're referring to crowdfunding and not just specificly to Kickstarter/Indiegogo campaigns, then Star Citizen has them beat by quite a large margin.
  16. Prisoner747 said:
    If they're referring to crowdfunding and not just specificly to Kickstarter/Indiegogo campaigns, then Star Citizen has them beat by quite a large margin.


    Over a period of months, not days, and using at least 2 crowdfunding campaigns. Hardly a fair comparison. If Canonical ran two campaigns for the next 6 months they would quite easily exceed 15M.
  17. randomizer said:
    Prisoner747 said:
    If they're referring to crowdfunding and not just specificly to Kickstarter/Indiegogo campaigns, then Star Citizen has them beat by quite a large margin.


    Over a period of months, not days, and using at least 2 crowdfunding campaigns. Hardly a fair comparison. If Canonical ran two campaigns for the next 6 months they would quite easily exceed 15M.


    I agree completely! But it was a vague statement in the first place and as a result open to quite broad interpretation.
Ask a new question

Read More

Smartphones Canonical Ubuntu