c4badman

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013
This is my first build and am having issues with the motherboard. Components:

Mobo: ASRock z77 Extreme4
CPU: Intel i5 3750k
Cooler: Corsair H50 Liquid Cooler
PSU: Corsair 850w

When I plug everything in and attach to a monitor, the mobo turns on the cooler and nothing else. The LEDs on the board don't light up and I can't reach the BIOS site.

I have all the other components and case and had it all attached earlier. The first time i plugged everything in it ran just fine and got to the bios page but once I tried to upload Windows 7, the whole system shut off and won't come back, even though I can get control it (on/off) from the motherboard.

Is it a faulty mobo or am I missing something here??

Any help is much appreciated!!

sparkz89

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
No it is not a faulty mobo. I hate asking you to do this, but make sure that all the components are plugged in when first trying to boot it. If that does not work then try it with just 1 stick of ram, if still nothing, remove your cmos battery after you have disconnected your power cord from the psu, let it reset, plug the battery back into the cmos and boot up again.

c4badman

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013

Ok, I made sure everything was plugged in correctly. PSU to the Motherboard via 24pin. CPU and cooler are all hooked up fine. One stick of Ram was attached. Tried to boot it and the same happened. Turned it all off. Unplugged the PSU. Took out the CMOS battery and let it chill for a couple minutes. Put it back in and turned everything on. Still nothing.

c4badman

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013

Nope. That's the weird part. The DeBugger, resent, and power LEDs don't light. But when I press the power switch, the cooler fan starts up and begins working.

c4badman

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013

Hmmm even if when I turn on the mobo the fan on the PSU starts to spin and then stops?

c4badman

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013
BOOM! Figured it out!! Being a first time builder, I actually forgot to plug in the CPU 8pin from the PSU to the motherboard....quite embarrassing but thanks a ton for the help!!