New motherboard and processor, but old hard drive, do I need to re-format it?

Wuler

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013
I just got a new motherboard and cpu with my computer. I didn't know you had to re-install windows when you have a different chipset so finally after they were just sitting in their boxes I got a new copy of Windows 7. I hooked up all my new stuff and booted Windows 7 off of my USB and it got to the install page, clicked install now. Then once that happened it kept saying it cannot detect the drivers so I put my mobo CD in and then it started saying that I need to get an updated driver. So I put all the new motherboard drivers that I downloaded onto a USB and I am still getting the same error. I tried switching between the sata 2.0 and 3.0 and changing my reader from AHCI to RAID and still didn't work, I even spent tons of time going through each of the drivers on both RAID and AHCI and the new and old drivers but still getting the same message. I read somewhere that re-installing Windows 7 will wipe your hard drive automatically so I didn't bother to re-format and wipe it. Is that what I will need to do since it still has my old motherboard drivers? Or will I need to get a completely new hard drive? Or is it just a motherboard problem? Please help!

PC build now
Asrock z77 Pro4-m
Intel i5 3570k
1.5tb Hard drive (same hard drive as old pc build)
MSI Twin Frozr 560ti 1280mb
Windows 7 Professional

Old PC Build
HP p6-2033w (look this up to see what it was like since it was pre-built)
With MSI Twin Frozr 560ti 1280mb

You can install Windows 7 from a USB device if you have a tablet, or small laptop or netbook device, few of which include optical drives as standard hardware.
This means that you must get the Windows 7 setup files onto a flash drive (or any USB based storage) and then boot from that flash drive to get the Windows 7 installation process started.
However, simply copying the files from your Windows 7 DVD to a flash drive won't work. You have to specially prepare the USB device and then properly copy the Windows 7 install files to it before it'll work as you expect.
Just do a google search for installing windows7 from usb drive for instructions.

You can delete old partitions when you install Windows 7, including any old HP recovery partitions.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Make a backup of your hard drive and just try booting directly to the old drive, it will work 9 times out of 10 - Win7 will reconfigure itself with generic drivers from it's store, when it's done update the new mobo drivers from your mobos web site, then run a registry cleaner, like Wise Registry Cleaner and should be ready to go, Win will notify you to re-authenticate your copy of Win, do it on-line then make the needed phone call - it's simple

Wuler

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013

I think you completely misread what I said or was asking... I already booted from my usb lol

Wuler

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013

As I said, it wasn't reading the drivers like it normally should. Which is why I was asking if it was possibly reading the drivers incorrectly because of my hard drive not being cleaned. This chipset is COMPLETELY different from my old motherboard which is why I think I am having this problem.

Wuler

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013

No, would I be able to do that without wiping my hard drive?

Wuler

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013

Then I should be able to load my new motherboard without wiping my hard drive and reinstalling windows? And also which one should i do first, uninstall old drivers or install new ones? Sorry I am some what of a noob lol

Wuler

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013

When I tried to boot with my new motherboard it sent me to windows repair on startup

Wuler

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013

Just sat there saying system repair then told me it should start normally if repair was successful but it wasnt

Wuler

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013

Thats the problem, its not reading my hard drive on windows install. Right now i just said screw it and am restoring my computer to factory settings in hopes that works. Already backed up my files so thats not a problem.

LizH

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014

I think my husband is having the same problem. Did you lose all your data on your motherboard??