Point me towards parts that fit my needs well?

Wheel in the Sky

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2013
I'm trying to build a system that will let me do what I want, but without paying for overkill. But I have no idea what kind of parts that would be (i3, i5? integrated graphics?)

Reason For Upgrade: This is my current computer and it's from 2009- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Also, I'm planning on getting involved in digital art and working with code soon.

Intended Use: Streaming movies in SD, Youtube in 1080p would be cool, drawing and animating in programs like Photoshop and Illustrator, writing coding and compiling code, as for gaming- flash games and older CD games (2005/6).

Overclocking: No.

SLI/Crossfire: No.

Budget: As a rough estimate I'll say $1000. I'm not determined to spend that much, but I do want a fast pc since I use it a lot. I could be convinced in either direction. Bang for buck is where it's at.

Purchase Date: I don't see any reason to wait once I decide what to get.

Monitor: I am keeping my monitor for now (23" 1080p 60Hz LED).

Preferences: I'd rather go with Intel than AMD. USB 3.0 would be nice since my external HHD supports it.

I'm not interested in an SSD, I want to keep my first build simple.

For the OS, I think Windows 7 would suit me better that 8 since it's a desktop. Is there a way to get that cheap?

So please give me some advice. The only thing I'm sure I want is 2TB of storage. But which one!?

mc962

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1tEUc

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($294.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($172.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($57.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($82.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.49 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $837.39
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-19 02:41 EDT-0400)

Picked an i7 because i think you will be doing stuff that involves it and it was well within this one's budget. Since you aren't overclocking, might as well go with Haswell generation, maybe save money on a GPU for now and use the integrated graphics for a bit. Aftermarket cooler is always nice, and this one is cheap, although you might be able to skip it if not overclocking (although you may wish to pick up some better thermal compound). The Z87 Pro looks as if it gives you what you need and even comes with a wireless module (although do more research here, i havent done as much research here). Although, since you arent overclocking you may wish to consider something that isnt Z87..it will have less features potentially but it is also cheaper (something like the H87 Pro). Just make sure it's all LGA 1150 sockets. I put in just 8 GB ram but if you need more it's not that hard to swap in more (and i picked low profile because you probably won't need the ginormous ram heatsinks on normal corsair ram). I picked a caviar black as it's supposed to be WD's performance drive since you mentioned no SSD wanted. I would recommend some sort of SSD boot drive type think, either 128 gb or 256 gb, but it's your decision. If you wanted an SSD I might recommend Samsung 840 Pro series. The Fractal R4 is a great and also fairly quiet case (check it out for more details) and has both windowed and non windowsed options (i think i might have put the windowed one up there, doesnt matter much it's just the windowed one might be slightly louder). I forgot to put in a psu, but check out corsair HX and AX models, or Seasonic models (650W would likely more than meet your needs). Optical drive is just a generic optical, do more research here if you want something more. I didnt put in a gpu as im not sure if you need one right now (dont know as much about them), but since you could fit it into the budget then an msi gtx 760 would probably set you up for a while (a 660 would also likely do just fine as well)

As far as the OS, personally I would recommend 8, to me it seems a bit faster and for the most part more stable for stuff (although part of that might be a better computer). I'm typing this on 8 on a desktop now and so far I really like it. The start menu thing is a bit annoying, but there are some things i like about it and i think once i get used to it and how to use it i will like it more. Regardless, they are the same price so it's up to you what you want. Pick up an OEM version as they are cheaper and you only need to install it on that computer. Just keep in mind that you lose some of the priveleges that come with a full version (like i believe microsoft doesnt have to give you tech support like if you call them as this version is made for the people who build the computers)

Wheel in the Sky

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2013
Thanks for the suggestions mc962, I appreciate your input. Integrated graphics does seem like a good idea since my gaming is negligible. Are you sure I can use 1866MHz ram without overclocking though? I'm all for faster ram though. I think I might go for 2X8 ram since I am skipping on a video card. I'm considering overclocking if that's what it would take for faster ram. I don't really have a clue about it, but I can always ask for help.

Also, about the onboard graphics. I read that you can choose how much system ram you let the Intel HD 4600 use when you have the i7-4770k. Is that only possible with the "k" version, or can the regular 4770 do this as well?

mc962

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
i think that was the lowest mhz low profile ram listed in pcpartpicker, but if you can find lower go for it..i selected it more for the fact that it's standard good ram but without the giant heatsink the normal version has. This is the one that I got i think:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/366817/Vengeance_8GB_DDR3-1600_PC3-12800_CL9_Dual_Channel_Desktop_Memory_Kit_Two_4GB_Memory_Modules

as far as the 2x8, it's not like it will really hurt you, but usually most recommend to put that money elsewhere. however, as you said, you arent getting a gpu so you dont have that to worry about that in your budget so much. i might suggest an ssd, but it's up to you. i dont really see the need to overclock the ram unless you want to or really need that extra performance

i dont know about choosing how much system ram for the HD 4600, that's something ive never messed with, but i think the main difference with the K version is that it is unlocked, meaning it can overclock easier. I thought I heard that some random feature is disabled on K versus non K, but from what i remember it seemed like it was a feature that you and i are unlikely to care much about right now