Sign in with
Your question

Help with new Harddrive please? Will it help/what to buy

Last response: in Components
August 19, 2013 5:08:28 AM

Hello, I am in need of a bit of help please! Its my first post so I hope it is in the right place.

I have a Dell XPS 17 (L702x)i7/Geforce GT550M/6GB/650gb HD laptop that started BSOD'ing.

I googled the blue screen codes and attempted several different repairs. It was dump crashing, % is missing from your computer error, among lots of others.

I ended up reinstalling windows a couple of times but it didn't help anything and came to the conclusion it was hardware related.

I removed each stick of RAM in turn (4GB/2GB), to see if there was a problem with either.. but it didn't change anything.

I no longer game, so after trying to fix it for a while I just put it in a cupboard and forgot about it. Now I want to use it for internet browsing etc.

- It can take a lot of attempts for it to boot without blue screening.
- It wont boot (freezes) unless it is tipped backwards.
-When it is on, it often blue screens if more than 4-5 internet tabs are open.
-Sometimes it can go a couple of hours without doing it.
-It gets very hot (but I think it may have always been like that)

Latest error -
STOP: c000021a {fatal system error}
The windows subsystem system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x
c0000006 (0x779f523b 0x00b3e2c0).
The system has been shut down

I want to try replacing the hard drive before I put it in the bin or hopefully sell it for parts towards a crap netbook haha
My question is, how do I find a hard drive I can replace this one with to try it? Does each model have different fittings or is it just a case of buying one the same size?

I know the information I've given really isnt that useful with logs and listing the actual error numbers etc but does it sound like something is wrong with the HD?

Thanks a lot!

More about : harddrive buy

a b D Laptop
August 19, 2013 9:52:02 AM

Did you memtest the RAM? http://www.memtest.org/

As you said its getting very hot that could be the problem. Try to clean the heat sink on CPU and some dust here and there. Try it on a hard surface instead of a soft surface.

Did you tried it on safe-mode to see if it stays stable or not.

You can replace the HDD with any 2.5" laptop HDD, they are all the same.

!