Asus Rampage iii Formula only seeing 4gb out of 12gb of ram.

erikmanley79

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013
Hi everyone,

After days of trying to find a fix in other posts on this topic I am stuck. Basically it's the typical issue where I have ram thats not being recognized in the bios or windows CONSISTENTLY. The full 12gb of ram always shows up in CPU-Z and is listed as triple channel, and all slots show a stick of ram.

If I go into the bios under the extreme tweaker tab and enable "Memory Recheck" and save exit, I get a boot loop untill i shut the machine off, wait a bit then turn it back on. Once I do this, i get an error saying the overclock failed and i have to either hit F1 to enter set up (which is when i disable memory recheck) or i can choose to hit F2 and load setup defaults and the machine boots just fine, but once in windows its still 4gb under system information.

I have removed each stick of ram, tried running with one, then two then three, all while checking the bios to see if the correct amount shows up and its really hit and miss. So far I can only get 8gm to show up in the bios and in windows (all while cpu-z shows the correct amount), but then my machine locked up do to another program and i had to restart. I then got the overclock error and after disabling the memory recheck and finally starting windows back up, I was back to 4gm of ram in the BIOS and in Windows.

I haven't run memtest yet but i did run the windows memory diag. and there were no errors, and since cpu-z sees all three sticks im hoping the memory is fine.

Could this just be an issue of me not knowing how to tweak something with the ram in the bios, if so any suggestions or help is appreciated. Some info on my set up is below, let me know if anything else is needed to help figure this out.

Sorry for the wall of text :)

ASUS LGA 1366 Intel X58 Republic of Gamers ATX Motherboard Rampage III Formula

BIOS Version: 0903

---------------------------------

Evga GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB (Fermi) 01G-P3-1561-AR Video Card

-------------------------------

Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) part #999046. Doesnt seem to be on the QVL for memory but there isnt any 12gb sets on there that I can see.

--------------------------------

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

----------------------------

Corsair Professional Series Gold 850-Watt 80 Plus Gold Certified High-Performance Power Supply - CMPSU-850AX

erikmanley79

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013

Ok im back from bios land. I looked in the extreme tweaker tab and all over the other tabs and don't see an option to "reload optimized defaults" or "Memory Hole Remapping".

The only things i see in the lower right section is the standard, save, save exit, exit, etc. and the closest thing I can find to memory hole remapping is "Memory Recheck" but when I enable this, and then go to system information if i recall correctly, all 12 gigs are recognized but when i hit f10 i get stuck in a boot loop untill i shut it down, wait a few minutes then restart it. at this point is when i get the "overclocking failed" error and i have to hit f1 for setup (where i have to turn memory check off. At this point im back to 4gigs in the bios and windows again. Although cpu-z still shows 12gigs and each slot shows a stick in the SPD tab.

erikmanley79

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013

Thanks for the help, I will run through these after work.