Need advice with new rig

Morgan 3rd

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013
Hello everyone. This is my first post here :)

I am building a new rig after years of Mac and laptops and need a bit of help.

I have decided on most of the components but there are 2 left where I would like your opinion.

Components so far:
CPU: Intel 4670k
MB: Asus Z87-A
GPU: Asus GTX760-DC2OC-2GD5 soon to be 2x in SLI
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB
PSU: Corsair TX750M V2

What I need is a recommendation on is RAM and the tower case.
Regarding the RAM I am thinking of 2x4GB 1866. My budget is around 100 USD or 70 GBP. I might pay more if the cost is justified. I m not sure I can even reach higher frequencies with this setup.

For a case my budget is 90 USD or 60 GBP but would rather pay less. What I care about for the case is to keep the machine cool with as little noise as possible and of course for it to be able to fit the SLI 760s. I don t mind getting extra silent fans in the future if need be, but good airflow is desired. I do plan to overclock in the future.

I am also open to any suggestions on the already picked components.
I will be using the computer mainly for Visual Studio (thus the 4670 instead of an 8350), some light Photoshop editing, web browsing and of course gaming..
I was very close to picking the 8530 since it is also a very good choice especially with MB prices, but I will be spending most of my time in single threaded applications.

I was going for an Asus 7950 due to my belief that since new consoles have ATI hardware news games will be slightly optimized for them but the 760 is just too much value at the moment.

All opinions and suggestions are welcomed.

Thank you all in advance.

Rafeed Iqbal

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013

Morgan 3rd

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013
Thank you for the answer.
I have to say that you have a very good taste. This case looks great. I will read a few reviews on it, but I think I m getting it.
In regards to the CPU cooler. I was thinking that I could live for a while with the stock until I decided to overclock. Is the stock cooler really so bad that I should not even consider it for stock CPU speed?

Rafeed Iqbal

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013

stock cpu coolers are generally crap and ,though im not sure about the current amd ones, the new haswell ones are especially bad. unless you live in a very hot area, you'll survive.

Morgan 3rd

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013
Thanks for all the info.
I am ordering the machine tomorrow :)
In the end I decided on the Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case cause it is just exactly what I was looking for even though it exceeds my budget.
The RAM will be 2x4gb of Corsair Vengeance Blue 2166 1.3V because I found them in a good price at my local store. I am guessing the 1.3V is an ok choice? I could get the 1.5V low profile ones for 6 USD less but chose the 1.3V in the end.

For CPU cooling I will wait till I assemble everything and see the noise levels. If it turns out to be too noisy I will get an aftermarket.

Any extra advice until tomorrow afternoon is more than welcomed!!

Rafeed Iqbal

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
that ram is a good choice if it's at a good price and is within your budget, the lower the voltage, the less heat it produces so thats good, but what is the latency on the sticks( you don't want more than CL9.

Morgan 3rd

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013
The model is this one: http://www.corsair.com/us/vengeancer-8gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmz8gx3m2a2133c11b.html so it is 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27. I cannot find a CL9 with these speeds on corsairs' site to check. I can only find C9 or C9R at these speeds so I m not sure of what latency you are referring to at 2133. Of what I see 11-11-11-27 falls somewhere in the middle?

PS: I also ended up getting the ASUS Z87 Plus instead of the Z87-A because they were out of stock and I just had to have the machine ASAP :)

Morgan 3rd

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013
Well I m writing a final update with my impression after getting the new machine. AWESOME :) I ended up getting the OCZ Vector 128 as SSD cause it was on discount (very nice first impressions). The computer is basically silent at all times even when playing Metro 2033 or doing a bit of test rendering and the temp of the CPU has never reached over 50c with the stock cooler!!! The installation in the box was very easy and comfortable and there is plenty of room for the cables at the back. If I manually set all fans to full speed I can hear them a little bit and that is with the box sitting right next to me on the desk. My roommates' macbook makes more noise than that.. Special thanks to Rafeed for all the good info ;)