HD 7850 Struggling With World of Warcraft

xZora

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013
It seems that lately my HD 7850 has been struggling a little bit in World of Warcraft during 10/25m raids, or sitting in a major city. I've turned down all of my graphic settings to low or off, apart from view distance and environmental detail - which I'm keeping at good to high.

I'm running a i7-3770k OC'd to 4.0, keeping turbo enabled, 16GB of 1600 RAM, two monitors - main at 1920x1080 with a second monitor slightly lower reso just for browser/music. I've resisted from updating drivers after being stable, but have recently updated them to try to fix the issue but nothing has changed. I run very few addons, and the ones I do run are always up to date.

If I'm out in the world on my own, with my graphics settings, I sit around 110 frames, but drops to 20-30 in my previously mentioned settings, which I feel shouldn't be happening.

Any help, or insight, would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
WOW is cpu intensive, meaning its highly possible your issue is cpu limited. check out your cpu utilization when your fps drops down to 20-30fps. That cpu has a lot more overclocking headroom then you're getting out of it... i'd try to overclock it a bit and see what happens.

Its also possible you're having temp issues due to the summer weather. In which case you might want to look into getting a better cpu cooler. IB runs hot, and it might be temperature throttling (your gpu might be temp throttling as well); check out the cpu temp and see if its getting up to 90C.
WOW is cpu intensive, meaning its highly possible your issue is cpu limited. check out your cpu utilization when your fps drops down to 20-30fps. That cpu has a lot more overclocking headroom then you're getting out of it... i'd try to overclock it a bit and see what happens.

Its also possible you're having temp issues due to the summer weather. In which case you might want to look into getting a better cpu cooler. IB runs hot, and it might be temperature throttling (your gpu might be temp throttling as well); check out the cpu temp and see if its getting up to 90C.

Solution

xZora

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013

I'll monitor it when I get home from work. As for the temperature issue, I don't think that's causing much of a problem, though I could be wrong. I am currently using an H60 to cool the CPU, with the exhaust at the back of the case, and 2 intake fans on the front. During WoW, even when streaming, I don't go over 50c. But, to limit temps even more (because it does get warm in my room), I have a H100i shipping.

I'll monitor the CPU and GPU temps tonight, however.

hrm... well good luck on that one. get back to us if the problem remains.