New asrock z77 install with old hdd and CPU help.

Katburd4

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013
I am trying to install a new asrock z77 motherboard into my old set up. I'm going to use the same hard drives and CPU. I also want to upgrade from windows xp 32bit to windows 7 64 bit. I have a sata to USB adapter so that I can plug my hdd into the computer and remove files but I'm not sure if there's a way to wipe the whole thig afterward so that I can start from scratch. Do I even need to, or is there another way?

computer_nugget2

Distinguished
what is you old cpu?

and yes there is a way to wipe your old hard drive. you can use the disk management program built into windows to wipe the hard drive clean. just plug in the drive and check to see if its detected in disk management and delete the partition and format. or you can get a copy of a OS called Parted Magic (its free) and that comes with loads of programs that will let you add or remove partitions in your hard drives and format them.

Katburd4

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013
It's an intel i5 sandy bridge 2500. Thank you. Ya I reformatted my hard drives and I went to put my computer together only to discover my gpu doesn't fit into my case with this motherboard. Very unfortunate.