For gaming and LONGEVITY i7 4770k vs i5 4670k

beasty_boyXD

Honorable
Jun 1, 2013
Hey Guys/Girls,

I'm building a new rig and i was deciding between the i7 4770k and the i5 4670k. I know either one of these cpu's are great for gaming but i want to be able to switch out my graphics card 3 years down the line without changing my cpu, so i want great longevity.

GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780
MOBO: Asus Maximus VI Hero
RAM: 16gb@ 1600mhz

Thanks

chriss000

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
The 4770k will not play games noticeably better than the 4670k. It is the same physical chip with hyperthreading. Hyperthreading wont make any difference to performance if all 4 cores are flat out busy. Haswels run a bit hot for my liking, get the unthreaded 3570k if you want to clock it and keep it for 6 yrs.
And yes, it should run any single or dual card configuration in that time frame . Also, its a few quid cheaper, and overclocks slightly better than the haswell, utimately giving better value for money, and some haswells overclock badly only hitting 4.2 gig and this I am afraid in my view makes it too dearer an option.

PCDave

Honorable
May 22, 2013
Chris is spot on, as for longevity, if all you do is gaming and not video editing, get the i5 4670k, there is basically no difference at all within the margin of error, and the i7 is only for video editing, photo editing, multi tasked applications, etc. You should be fine without changing for 3 years, as the first gen i5s/i7s are still great CPUs that are awesome for gaming and most applications.

Do you plan on overclocking? If so, stick with the board you want. If not, get a cheaper board. Let me know if you want help.

beasty_boyXD

Honorable
Jun 1, 2013
Do you plan on overclocking? If so, stick with the board you want. If not, get a cheaper board. Let me know if you want help.

Yes i plan on overclocking someday. I'm using a corsair h100i cooler