Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

"Future Proofing" build

Tags:
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
August 20, 2013 10:37:22 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: 10 days or so

Budget Range: 1600-2000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: High end gaming, photoshop, premiere, modeling.

Are you buying a monitor: No (getting a 4k tv later)



Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com

Location:San Diego, CA
Parts Preferences: by brand or type (e.g.: I would like to upgrade to Intel CPU)

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1080p tv (upgrading to 4k in a year or two)

Additional Comments: I already have the prodigy case which only takes Mini-ITX boards =D

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: PC is getting old and wont be able to run future games. Elder Scrolls Online is a must play at max with 60fps.

More about : future proofing build

August 20, 2013 10:55:52 AM

^^ I forgot to mention the Case that I have only takes Mini-ITX boards =(

That build + asrock might bring me to 2000 =D
Related resources
August 20, 2013 10:57:00 AM

FractalDesignCore said:
Went a little over budget but this is a killer rig.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1ucWN


You don't need an i7 for gaming. If you're running CS5 or anything else then I could see it being used, but for most of the OP's uses you don't really need it. Plus there's no way I would pay $400 for a motherboard when one that's $200 does the same job. I would do something like this if you really need an i7:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X60 98.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($107.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($174.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($108.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1955.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-20 13:56 EDT-0400)
August 20, 2013 11:03:31 AM

g-unit1111 said:
FractalDesignCore said:
Went a little over budget but this is a killer rig.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1ucWN


You don't need an i7 for gaming. If you're running CS5 or anything else then I could see it being used, but for most of the OP's uses you don't really need it. Plus there's no way I would pay $400 for a motherboard when one that's $200 does the same job. I would do something like this if you really need an i7:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X60 98.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($107.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($174.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($108.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1955.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-20 13:56 EDT-0400)


The reason i picked that MOBO Is because it is a definite future proof for sure. Go big or go home. The Kraken X60 won't fit in that case though. I went ahead and threw in Windows 8. But its whatever really.
August 20, 2013 11:06:14 AM

Here is another one with more ram and a different motherboard. Also do you need a new case being that our old one is only mini itx?
This ram is much faster being 1866. Your probably going to need the 3tb for video rendering and Hi def photos and what not.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($174.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($119.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($122.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($133.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($648.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair 860W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($149.49 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit) ($129.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1904.40
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-20 14:05 EDT-0400)
August 20, 2013 11:12:01 AM

FractalDesignCore said:

The reason i picked that MOBO Is because it is a definite future proof for sure. Go big or go home. The Kraken X60 won't fit in that case though. I went ahead and threw in Windows 8. But its whatever really.


No offense, but that is an extremely bad argument for justifying paying that much for a motherboard. It's not a logical way to go about picking parts for a build. Future proofing is a huge moot point and paying $200 more for a motherboard - in no way, shape or form, will ensure that your build is "future proof". It just means you paid $200 more for a motherboard. The only way to ensure future proofing is to be prepared to upgrade incrementally and evolve your builds as you go along.

And the NZXT Kraken uses almost the same Asetek radiator that the H100i does, what do you mean it won't fit in the Define R4? :heink: 
August 20, 2013 11:12:47 AM

g-unit1111 said:
FractalDesignCore said:

The reason i picked that MOBO Is because it is a definite future proof for sure. Go big or go home. The Kraken X60 won't fit in that case though. I went ahead and threw in Windows 8. But its whatever really.


No offense, but that is an extremely bad argument for justifying paying that much for a motherboard. It's not a logical way to go about picking parts for a build. Future proofing is a huge moot point and paying $200 more for a motherboard - in no way, shape or form, will ensure that your build is "future proof". It just means you paid $200 more for a motherboard. The only way to ensure future proofing is to be prepared to upgrade incrementally and evolve your builds as you go along.


Alright then you are right thus i knocked the motherboard down as you can see.
August 20, 2013 11:17:03 AM

FractalDesignCore said:

Alright then you are right thus i knocked the motherboard down as you can see.


Yeah that's much better. Unless you're doing some extreme overclocking then the price of the Sniper isn't justified at all, the Asrock Extreme 6 would be a far better choice.
August 20, 2013 11:30:24 AM

Now its just up to you Paul to pick a build that we have provided you with! :bounce: 
August 20, 2013 12:23:35 PM

I am thinking about going with fracs build with a few mods.

I am building a frag box and that is why I have the prodigy case. I like the i7 and 780 as well. I will have to change to a mini itx board as well as a psu that will fit. I also am thinking about a blu ray burner for storage back ups. I might also go with a 2tb hd if it saves me cash since I use a 2tb external as well as a second 1tb external. I would love to combine the two though.

With those things in mind does anyone have a modified build? I want to build it at the start of the fall to have it locked in before the mmo and gaming season starts.
August 20, 2013 12:32:45 PM

Future proofing is impossible, but this is as close as you can get for $2000:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($110.50 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($128.88 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($126.49 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($689.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G-750 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($128.46 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.49 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $1931.67
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-20 15:32 EDT-0400)

August 20, 2013 4:46:37 PM

Paul Karyakos said:
I am thinking about going with fracs build with a few mods.

I am building a frag box and that is why I have the prodigy case. I like the i7 and 780 as well. I will have to change to a mini itx board as well as a psu that will fit. I also am thinking about a blu ray burner for storage back ups. I might also go with a 2tb hd if it saves me cash since I use a 2tb external as well as a second 1tb external. I would love to combine the two though.

With those things in mind does anyone have a modified build? I want to build it at the start of the fall to have it locked in before the mmo and gaming season starts.


In regards to "jryder" i really dont think that the Noctua is good. I throw in some more cash for the H100i. Video and editing, hi res photos will need some CPU power so you want to keep that thing cooled down for sure. Rendering really heats up the CPU. I went ahead with the Pro version of Windows 8. Its a couple bucks more but in the long run for future proofing it will be better IMO.
August 20, 2013 4:51:51 PM

Here i reedited the rig with the Fractal case you want and an Asrock MINI-ITX board. Aswell as pro windows 8 version with a liquid cooler.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87E-ITX Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($119.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($122.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($85.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($648.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 860W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($149.49 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.49 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit) ($129.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1939.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-20 19:51 EDT-0400)
August 20, 2013 5:30:44 PM

FractalDesignCore said:

In regards to "jryder" i really dont think that the Noctua is good. I throw in some more cash for the H100i. Video and editing, hi res photos will need some CPU power so you want to keep that thing cooled down for sure. Rendering really heats up the CPU. I went ahead with the Pro version of Windows 8. Its a couple bucks more but in the long run for future proofing it will be better IMO.


Are you sure about some of the advice that you are giving? Noctua ranks among the best heat sink manufacturers in the world, and the D14 matches and in some cases beats most closed liquid loops: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/h100i-elc240-seidon...

Having Windows 8 Pro over the standard version is not going to make a rig future proof unless you're adding more than 16GB of RAM.
August 20, 2013 6:56:08 PM

g-unit1111 said:
FractalDesignCore said:

In regards to "jryder" i really dont think that the Noctua is good. I throw in some more cash for the H100i. Video and editing, hi res photos will need some CPU power so you want to keep that thing cooled down for sure. Rendering really heats up the CPU. I went ahead with the Pro version of Windows 8. Its a couple bucks more but in the long run for future proofing it will be better IMO.


Are you sure about some of the advice that you are giving? Noctua ranks among the best heat sink manufacturers in the world, and the D14 matches and in some cases beats most closed liquid loops: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/h100i-elc240-seidon...

Having Windows 8 Pro over the standard version is not going to make a rig future proof unless you're adding more than 16GB of RAM.




PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87E-ITX Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($119.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($122.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($114.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($648.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair 860W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($149.49 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.49 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit) ($129.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1863.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-20 21:55 EDT-0400)

Even with all this you still have a 140$ leftover money. Might as well get the Pro edition for Windows 8.

Also you will need to fit a 240mm Rad by that i mean a 120mm side by side mount in the top of your modded case so somehow your going to need to mod that in for max performance.
August 20, 2013 7:09:15 PM

FractalDesignCore said:

Even with all this you still have a 140$ leftover money. Might as well get the Pro edition for Windows 8.

Also you will need to fit a 240mm Rad by that i mean a 120mm side by side mount in the top of your modded case so somehow your going to need to mod that in for max performance.


But again I ask why do you need Windows 8 Pro? If you're using 16GB of RAM or less there is zero reason to spend the extra $40. And why do you even need liquid cooling or expensive modifications? Now you're treading into "spending money just to spend it" territory.
August 20, 2013 7:19:16 PM

g-unit1111 said:
FractalDesignCore said:

Even with all this you still have a 140$ leftover money. Might as well get the Pro edition for Windows 8.

Also you will need to fit a 240mm Rad by that i mean a 120mm side by side mount in the top of your modded case so somehow your going to need to mod that in for max performance.


But again I ask why do you need Windows 8 Pro? If you're using 16GB of RAM or less there is zero reason to spend the extra $40. And why do you even need liquid cooling or expensive modifications? Now you're treading into "spending money just to spend it" territory.



Fine man its really up to Paul since his budget his 2 Grand.He has a modded case so i figured something that has a clean look so i picked the h100i. He can spend 20$ less and get a bulky Noctua.
August 20, 2013 7:22:34 PM

FractalDesignCore said:
g-unit1111 said:
FractalDesignCore said:

Even with all this you still have a 140$ leftover money. Might as well get the Pro edition for Windows 8.

Also you will need to fit a 240mm Rad by that i mean a 120mm side by side mount in the top of your modded case so somehow your going to need to mod that in for max performance.


But again I ask why do you need Windows 8 Pro? If you're using 16GB of RAM or less there is zero reason to spend the extra $40. And why do you even need liquid cooling or expensive modifications? Now you're treading into "spending money just to spend it" territory.



Fine man its really up to Paul since his budget his 2 Grand.He has a modded case so i figured something that has a clean look so i picked the h100i. He can spend 20$ less and get a bulky Noctua.


Well the D14 is humongous I'm not going to argue there. But there's also better liquid coolers you could go with like the Swiftech Edge or the NZXT X60. The X60 uses the same Asetek radiator that the H100i does but has stronger fans that are included with it. Corsair is typically known for including shoddy fans with their coolers.

August 20, 2013 7:27:10 PM

g-unit1111 said:
FractalDesignCore said:
g-unit1111 said:
FractalDesignCore said:

Even with all this you still have a 140$ leftover money. Might as well get the Pro edition for Windows 8.

Also you will need to fit a 240mm Rad by that i mean a 120mm side by side mount in the top of your modded case so somehow your going to need to mod that in for max performance.


But again I ask why do you need Windows 8 Pro? If you're using 16GB of RAM or less there is zero reason to spend the extra $40. And why do you even need liquid cooling or expensive modifications? Now you're treading into "spending money just to spend it" territory.



Fine man its really up to Paul since his budget his 2 Grand.He has a modded case so i figured something that has a clean look so i picked the h100i. He can spend 20$ less and get a bulky Noctua.


Well the D14 is humongous I'm not going to argue there. But there's also better liquid coolers you could go with like the Swiftech Edge or the NZXT X60. The X60 uses the same Asetek radiator that the H100i does but has stronger fans that are included with it. Corsair is typically known for including shoddy fans with their coolers.



I agree with you on that but the thing is he has a modded case not sure if he can fit a 280mm radiator. The Corsair fans are a bit dodgy ( I have an H100i 80f idle and 120 load ) i had to switch them to the sickleflows. But its all about his case he just has to fit that radiator in.
August 21, 2013 11:02:48 AM

I dont mind spending the extra cash if it will give me better parts. I know nothing about liquid cooling so I will have to see if the swiftedge will fit in the prodigy. I know the h100i will fit if I don't install a cd drive. I am going to have to move some things around to make that happen but I would like liquid cooling rather than a fan.

My primary concerns are:

Single gfx card that can run 1600p
i7 because I love the i7 in my macbook
16gb ram
Mini itx
Single 2tb hd
Micro Sata drive or ssd

I just don't know what parts or brands are good these days. I appreciate all of the advice as well. Do you guys think I might be better off waiting until black Friday? I want a gaming rig for the fall season but if I can save money then so be it. I know that most premium parts never go on sale though.

Thoughts?
August 21, 2013 11:27:04 AM

Paul Karyakos said:
I dont mind spending the extra cash if it will give me better parts. I know nothing about liquid cooling so I will have to see if the swiftedge will fit in the prodigy. I know the h100i will fit if I don't install a cd drive. I am going to have to move some things around to make that happen but I would like liquid cooling rather than a fan.


Most of the rigs I've seen with liquid cooling usually have the CD drive mounted in the bottom bays or they use a slim or USB burner.

Quote:

My primary concerns are:

Single gfx card that can run 1600p
i7 because I love the i7 in my macbook
16gb ram
Mini itx
Single 2tb hd
Micro Sata drive or ssd


The thing you have to keep in mind when comparing laptop and desktop CPUs is that laptop CPUs are made to be run off a battery so they're designed with low power requirements. If I had to guess I'd say the CPU in your Macbook is an i7-2860QM? That would perform about the desktop equivalent of an i3-3225. There's no laptop CPU currently that performs even in the same range as an i7-4770K.

Quote:

I just don't know what parts or brands are good these days. I appreciate all of the advice as well. Do you guys think I might be better off waiting until black Friday? I want a gaming rig for the fall season but if I can save money then so be it. I know that most premium parts never go on sale though.


In my past experience anything you plan to buy on Black Friday - will most likely not be the hardware that is being discounted. Most of what Newegg discounts heavily on that day - at least in the last couple years - has always been the bottom end, discounted already, or closeout items. The new top of the line stuff like the Samsung 840 Evo and high end cases and PSUs will not be what's on sale.
August 21, 2013 12:19:38 PM

So in the end you will just have to be able to fit a radiator cause we have put together the barebones. Either the H100i with 120mm fans or the X60 with the 140mm.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87E-ITX Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($119.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($122.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($114.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($648.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair 860W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($149.49 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.49 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit) ($129.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1863.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-21 15:17 EDT-0400)


or


PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X60 98.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($107.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87E-ITX Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($119.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($122.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($114.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($648.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair 860W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($149.49 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.49 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit) ($129.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1876.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-21 15:19 EDT-0400)
August 21, 2013 12:50:20 PM

Is the 770gtx similar to the 780 aside from the fact that the 780 has 3gb and displays resolution over 1080p?
August 21, 2013 12:56:55 PM

The gtx 780 is a tad higher in performance for 1920x1080p but 2 sli gtx 770 will max out an game on high and kick the singled 780. But in the end a single gtx 780 is only a tad higher on performance.
look at these charts

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_7...

It highlights the gtx770 but also shows in comparison to the gtx 780.
August 21, 2013 1:03:00 PM

Excellent chart.

My tv is what I use for a monitor and it's native at 1080p. I plan on upgrading to a 4k tv in a few years once they are not ridiculous in price.

I wonder if a 770gtx would be more cost effective simply because of monitor resolution. When I buy a 4k tv I could upgrade to a higher video card but that wont be for years.
August 21, 2013 1:11:53 PM

If you dropped it to a Gtx 770 the price drops drastically. New Nvidia cards will be coming out in the near future anyways so the last series the GTX 7xx goes down. ETC Here is the cost of just with a gtx 770. Sorry kept posting the wrong rig.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87E-ITX Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($119.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($122.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($114.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card ($479.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair 860W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($149.49 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.49 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit) ($129.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1694.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-21 16:14 EDT-0400)
August 21, 2013 1:26:54 PM

Yeah it saves me 200 bucks which is nice. I figure if I am limited to my 1080p tv I would be better off getting the 770gtx now then upgrading in a few years.

I think I will go with that current one you posted. It should be able to run anything I have at max? Skyrim, bf4 when that's out, eso, the division etcetc
August 21, 2013 2:01:10 PM

Paul Karyakos said:
Yeah it saves me 200 bucks which is nice. I figure if I am limited to my 1080p tv I would be better off getting the 770gtx now then upgrading in a few years.

I think I will go with that current one you posted. It should be able to run anything I have at max? Skyrim, bf4 when that's out, eso, the division etcetc


yeah that 4 gb one is FTW and has an amazing cooler on it! Just look around and research on it though it seems like it just came out cause i couldnt find a review..........
!