Sign in with
Your question

Will an FX-8350 Black Edition bottleneck a Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 with Boost?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 20, 2013 2:58:39 PM

I'm looking into making a gaming PC. I was thinking of getting a cheap CPU but a high-end GPU since I'd heard that the video card is what really matters when gaming. Then I found out that certain CPUs will bottleneck powerful GPUs. So, will I be able to run an HD7970 with an FX-8350, or will the power of the video card be restricted? Also is this- http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Computer-Corp-Motherboards-97... -a decent mobo?
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2013 3:00:07 PM

Yes you will be able to run a FX 8350 with a 7970 they are both High End Products.
Related resources
August 23, 2013 4:19:06 PM

The latter card you've mentioned (Vapor X, for $60) is the one with the their cooling tech. Personally, I'm a big fan of keeping all components as cool (and ventilated) as possible.
August 23, 2013 4:42:16 PM

So basically, better cooling=more potential for overclocking? Suppose I were to overclock both the OC with Boost Edition and the Vapor-X Edition to maximum potential and popped in a game like Crysis 3. Would there be a noticeable increase in FPS using the Vapor X or does the extra cooling just keep the component safer? Oh and on a slightly unrelated note, I've heard that the Vapor-X is somewhat large. Would it fit in an NZXT 210 Source ELITE case?
August 23, 2013 4:52:02 PM

yes but let me explain: when overclocking, temps increase so a better cooling is normally recommended. So, yes, if you plan to oc, then you'll be in a better place. FPS won't be affected, the cooling system will keep your component safer. As for the case, looks like a standard mid-ATX case, it should fit.
August 23, 2013 4:52:35 PM

yes but let me explain: when overclocking, temps increase so a better cooling is normally recommended. So, yes, if you plan to oc, then you'll be in a better place. FPS won't be affected, the cooling system will keep your component safer. As for the case, looks like a standard mid-ATX case, it should fit.
August 23, 2013 5:01:41 PM

Oh OK thanks. If you don't mind, I've got one last question on a highly unrelated note. I understand that GPUs generally come with fans attached to them. However, I am somewhat confused with CPU fans. From what I can understand, most CPUs will come with a fan, but for overclocking, buying an aftermarket CPU cooler (the one in particular which I'm considering is the Corsair H100i). So, under what circumstances should I buy an aftermarket cooler. Should I only purchase the H100i if I'm considering heavy overclocking and get away using only the default i5 cooler?
!