What is your first car?

Kolimo

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
Hello, I'm starting my first driving lesson on the 23rd and I was thinking about first cars. What were the first car you guys drove?

Jaxem

Honorable
The very first one i drove was an early 90's mini toyota tacoma stick shift...not the best experience, but my first daily driver was a 66 mustang coupe...great car if you can sacrifice some time to working on it.

Kolimo

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013

The 66 mustang looks like a great car; it must have taken you a lot of time to build.

Jaxem

Honorable
mine ran when i got it, it needed body work and paint, a new heater and stuff like that, but i didn't have to pull then engine or anything, the carburetor was what caused most of my problems, i worked at an auto shop for quite a few years, i wouldn't suggest something that old for most people's first car, especially if you want to drive very much. I didn't finish the thing completely before gas cost and insurance got me and i got rid of it. I went to an Acura CL, which is another great car, fun to drive, reliable (honda guts), and easy to take care of.

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
1969 VW Bus and 1981 Toyota Celica GT. I bought the bus when I was 15 and the celica when I turned 16 as my daily driver. Neither one lasted long unfortunately. I had a lot of fun in that van and now know that if I ever have kids they will not own one.

No2rdame

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
1986 Chrysler Laser/Dodge Daytona. I drove the hell out of it and loved the car until the turbocharger went out on it. It may have been mid-80's American junk, but it had more character than almost anything on the road today.

Nafryti

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
1994 Ford Probe SE, i sold it because i spent too much money on it and forgot to swap the computers, i kick myself everyday for how stupid i was then.

Now i am looking for a Ford Probe GT to fix up and use as my own car. I have had the worst of luck learning to drive a stick, but i will hunker down and learn in a heart beat for a Probe GT.

Beachnative

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
I turned 50 today and my first car I was bought was a 1968 GTO 400 4 speed that had a screwed un tranny the owner thought. I paid $325 for it at 16 and my dad thought it would take forever to get running. I took a look at the clutch linkage and found out the Z bar was had cracked and wouldn't let the clutch disengage. Cost: $32
Cost to my dad: toooooo many gray hairs.
After fixing it I had a few friends come over and push start it and floored it....Smoke everywhere and I found out whoever took the tranny out put the linkage in wrong 2 & 4 were where 1 &3 should have been. After a simple swap it was mayhem!!!! I boiled the tires off of it many times and after getting warned by the po po and dad getting even more frustrated by how people told him how I drove it, I was forced to sell it.....It was actually a blessing, I probably would have been dead in a year....I was too immature for a car like that.

MrJohnnyLy

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013
1994 Toyota Celica ST Liftback Auto was my first car i shared with my brother for a year. After he graduated high school, he took the car and I bought a 1997 Civic HX 5-speed manual for $200. spent <$2000 to bring it back to life and flipped it for $4800 shortly after I graduated high school :)

Dom_79

Distinguished
81 Cutlass Supreme was the first one I actually put on the road. It had a 267 V-8 2 barrel and a 200 metric tranny. Gold with quarter vinyl roof. That car was LARGE, inside and out. My friends and I called her the "Cut-Louche" because working on her was as easy as driving her. The front seats were as comfortable as sitting in a lazy boy and the back seat was as big and comfortable as a couch. I could steer it with nothing but my pinky finger.
She guzzled gas in the city (I drove with the hammer down or te brakes to the floor- nothing in between, ahh to be 18 again) but practically breathed fumes on the Highway. I drove over 500Km average of about 140Km/H and it took 1 quarter of a tank! I'd love to have that car or one just like it for trips out west (work)

Feninthro

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
My first car:
1978 Camaro Type LT/Z/28 Tribute. As a matter of fact I still have it. I'll attach a picture of what it looks like today.
gmZSW0j.jpg

Very proud of this car, I've worked very hard to get it and keep it.

Feninthro

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013

Ah, yes. The interior isn't exactly visible in my picture. The blue seatbelt matches the blue interior.
RbjQf1K

EthanPark

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014
2001 v6 silver Pontiac Grand Am Coupe. It looked pretty at the time. Within 2 years, the aesthetic & mechanical flaws of the car was way too clear to me.... Then again, I was very fortunate to have a first car as a teen.