Learning to compare CPU's to each other

Makhout

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
1. I'm planning to buy a new laptop, because my current HP dv7 1030eb with CPU 2,26-GHz Intel Centrino 2 processortechnology, Intel Core 2 Duo Processor P8400. I'm looking into Asus Zenbook Infinity with CPU i7 4350U 1,7 GHz i7 4350U.
Now,the question is which one is faster? I'm thinking my current CPU is faster with almost 0,6 GHz, so how will I experience this speed?

2. How can a CPU 2,0GHz Haswell be faster than a CPU 2.0 GHz Ivy Bridge/ Sandy Bridge? How can this be and what are the other factors deciding this?

3. What does 'cache' means in a CPU.

4. What is faster? A 2,4GHz i5 or a 2Ghz i7

What I'm planning to do with the new laptop: Web (html, css, javascript, php, photoshop, illustrator, etc)
Development (Java, c#, C, C++, etc)
Video editing in premiere pro and after effects and of course watching movies =)

Jonathan Sifleet

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013
I beg my ignorance, I am not the best when it comes to laptops.

The i7 is most certainly better (not faster) because it has hyperthreading.

The main factors when deciding a CPU are the following:

*Overclockability
*Cores
*Architecture
*Threads
*Cache

Overclockability (if you dont know) is whether or not something can be overclocked. Overclocking essentially makes the CPU run faster albeit it creates more heat and needs more power

Cores are like GPU's in SLI, the work that needs to be done, is spread over the multiple cards (or in this case the cores)

Threads are basically cores but not as good, they arent physical and can never be as good as actual cores.

Cache, like everything else, is data which needs to be accessed VERY QUICKLY, except a CPU cache is what stored inside the CPU.

And architecture, well, thats something I don't entirely understand, but from what I know, its essentially how the CPU deals with data, and the better the architecture the more efficient it is at dealing with the data.

(Could someone else confirm what I've said?)

Simply stating whats better between an i5 and an i7 with two meaningless numbers at the end, isn't entirely easy to do, we need to know the specific CPU's.

Also while I'm here, why not get a desktop?

Makhout

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
Well the exact models are

Core i5-4350U 1.4 GHz / 2.9 GHz
Core i7-4650U 1.7 GHz / 3.3 GHz

You say the i7 is better but when I look at it's cache, it is much lower than my current CPU? So that's a bad thing?

I need a laptop/ultrabook because I travel a lot from and to school. So a desktop isn't really an option I'm afraid.

Also some bench marks:
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core2-Duo-P8400-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4650U

I hope with the above information, I've given enough information to help me with my questions.

Jonathan Sifleet

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013
i7's and i3's (not sure if all) have a thing called hyperthreading, which basically makes everything run faster that takes advantage of it (everything except gaming). The 4650u is better than the 4350u because it has a higher clock speed and the i7 has hypethreading.

Makhout

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
Yes I know that the 4650u is better than the 4350u because it has a higher clock speed. But is my current CPU faster than the new one?

And with the 4650u, Will I be able to do the things I asked for - on a speed faster than I'm doing now with my current CPU?

Jonathan Sifleet

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013

No, the i7 will be better, (not faster as in hz) because of hyperthreading and its architecture.

Makhout

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013

What I'm planning to do with the new laptop: Web (html, css, javascript, php, photoshop, illustrator, etc)
Development (Java, c#, C, C++, etc)
Video editing in premiere pro and after effects and of course watching movies =)

Budget: +/- 1500€ = 2000$ = 1250£

But I have a few requirements:
- Screen At least Full HD 1920x1080
- SSD only, no HDD
- Max weight of 2KG
- 8GB RAM
- Intel CPU, not AMD (preferable Haswell and i7)

If you think there is a much better solution by changing the requirements a bit, please do so and show me your idea's and suggestions.

Thank you for your help and I hope you can help me with this

Makhout

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013

So it is slower, but better. But better in what aspect?
Will it render my video's slower than my current CPU? Will it compile my code slower? Will it have problems with heavy tasks? Thats what I'm concerning about. I want a new laptop but of course I don't want a slower laptop than what I have now.

Jonathan, thank you for your information and your help! I'm learning bit by bit all these new terms :D

Makhout

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013

True that is more like it =D
But it is still too heavy, max 2KG (= 4 pounds I think) Also Don't want HDD but a SSD, I know I could change it myself, but that'll be an other cost extra..
Got nothing with my requirements?
But the one you showed me is indeed a monster =D I love it! I it wasn't for school that I had to travel a lot I would've bought it =)

Makhout

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
Yes! I think one it will be =)

EDIT: ow the resolution isn't full hd =(
sorry for being so difficult! but thanks for helping me

Makhout

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
Okay! Can you maybe provide me with answer for the original questions, for learning purposes and getting more knowledge?

Jonathan Sifleet

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013

So, what I said?