Sign in with
Your question

Which is better for this scenario: One 256GB SSD or Two 128GB

Last response: in Storage
August 20, 2013 7:44:16 PM

I'm building my first high end PC with gaming in mind and I wanted to ask the good people on here for some advice:

Basically I want both my Operating System and the games I install on a SSD. Initially my idea was to buy 2 Samsung 840 Pro 128GB drives and have my OS and games on separate drives, but would I be better off using just one 256GB 840 Pro and installing the OS & Games on separate partitions?

I'm just wondering because I know the life of a SSD is dependent on how often you write to it. Would having a gaming directory on a OS drive shorten the lifespan of my drive in comparison to two independent drives?
a b G Storage
a b 4 Gaming
August 20, 2013 7:57:59 PM

Get the biggest single SSD you can afford. Put the OS and most used apps/pgms on the SSD and everything else on a HDD.
a c 537 G Storage
August 20, 2013 8:18:50 PM

You don't have to worry about drive longevity with current generation SSD's. Especially if you're primarily gaming. Get the 256GB drive.

You also don't really need to create a separate partition for your games. You can have a main folder called C:/Games and then create sub-folders for each separate game that you install.
Related resources
August 21, 2013 12:07:45 PM

Thanks guys, 256GB it is!

Dereck47 said:
You also don't really need to create a separate partition for your games. You can have a main folder called C:/Games and then create sub-folders for each separate game that you install.

I considered that but IMO it's best to have the OS on a separate partition so you can wipe it and do a fresh install whenever you need to without having to re-download and/or re-install all your games.

a c 537 G Storage
August 21, 2013 2:16:29 PM

hikoPC said:
I considered that but IMO it's best to have the OS on a separate partition so you can wipe it and do a fresh install whenever you need to without having to re-download and/or re-install all your games.

Good point.

a b G Storage
a b 4 Gaming
August 21, 2013 4:50:49 PM

hikoPC said:

Won't the Win Registry, location pointers, etc. be missing after a clean install of the OS if the newly-installed OS isn't made aware of the games and other pgms?
a c 86 G Storage
August 21, 2013 5:15:40 PM

Lot's of people have found that trim does not work on a second SSD. So, be wary.
August 22, 2013 1:50:26 AM

The registry issues could be a problem, but if using something like Steam that may not be much of an issue.
Also of note: the write performance of the 256 models is significantly better than the 128s.
August 22, 2013 5:47:25 AM

Yeah that was a big boon for the 256GB drive, are the 512 faster still?
!