Which is better for this scenario: One 256GB SSD or Two 128GB

hikoPC

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2013
I'm building my first high end PC with gaming in mind and I wanted to ask the good people on here for some advice:

Basically I want both my Operating System and the games I install on a SSD. Initially my idea was to buy 2 Samsung 840 Pro 128GB drives and have my OS and games on separate drives, but would I be better off using just one 256GB 840 Pro and installing the OS & Games on separate partitions?

I'm just wondering because I know the life of a SSD is dependent on how often you write to it. Would having a gaming directory on a OS drive shorten the lifespan of my drive in comparison to two independent drives?

You don't have to worry about drive longevity with current generation SSD's. Especially if you're primarily gaming. Get the 256GB drive.

You also don't really need to create a separate partition for your games. You can have a main folder called C:/Games and then create sub-folders for each separate game that you install.

hikoPC

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2013
Thanks guys, 256GB it is!

I considered that but IMO it's best to have the OS on a separate partition so you can wipe it and do a fresh install whenever you need to without having to re-download and/or re-install all your games.

Good point.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Won't the Win Registry, location pointers, etc. be missing after a clean install of the OS if the newly-installed OS isn't made aware of the games and other pgms?

aramisathei

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
The registry issues could be a problem, but if using something like Steam that may not be much of an issue.
Also of note: the write performance of the 256 models is significantly better than the 128s.