can we extend our dsl and network to next door by connecting cat5 ethernet cable to laptop at house next door by using

csection6

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
We have dsl with att in our house. We own another house, literally next door, about 400ft away. We wanted to get another line in the end house, for high speed intent. At&t says they don't offer dsl at our other house, that the grid ends in the middle of the field and we can't get it at our property right next door .could we just take a cat 5 ethernet cable from one property and extend it to reach next door? Would that work? Other thsn our houses the next houses are a mile away.

kevinfriis7

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
You can do this but a cat5 cable can only reach 100m max. But you can use a repeater, swith or a hub to get more than 100m, because these devices will recreate the signal. But if you decide to run the cable outside watch out for rain.

Justin Weeks

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
You could run cable that distance if you use a repeater or some other networking hardware that will repeat the signal (switch,hub, etc.) as another poster has said. The problem is you should protect that wiring somehow and probably are going to have to dig to give it proper protection. If you go that route install some conduit to make the run easier.

Is there a reason why you don't want to use wireless? There are options available for every budget. You can use a directional antenna with a SOHO router in wireless bridge or repeater mode. That would require very minimal installation, is cheap, and doesn't require a lot of mess that running cable can sometimes entail. On the upper end (depending on budget) you can install an airFiber link(http://www.ubnt.com/airfiber) or Cisco Aironet. You did not mention your budget but, I feel the last two would be overkill.

What I would personally do, on a small budget, for a DSL connection(relatively slow) would be to buy two good quality SOHO routers that run DD-WRT (http://www.buffalotech.com/products/wireless/single-band-wireless-routers/airstation-highpower-n450-gigabit-dd-wrt-wireless-router) and attach a directional antenna to each of them(http://www.cantenna.com/). I have used a similar setup in the past to share an internet connection at about 300ft away. The connection was more than adequate to support file sharing, Voice IP (Vonage) and multiple computers web browsing on the network, at the same time, on the terminating end.

Prime Sanctus

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014
Technically, it should work and you can get a super long cat5 cable up to 50ft/100ft: http://www.primecables.com/p-322413-cab-cat7-100bl-100ft-cat-7-sstp-network-cables-blue but the signal is not gonna be as strong as the 5ft/10ft one, recommend you to get a cheap cat 5 cable to save more cost !!!

Watch the dates on the posts please. I normally just ignore these old ones but your information is not correct. The strength of the signal makes absolutely no difference. Etheret is done with voltage differentials and it will go 100m as stated in the second answer. It does not matter if the cable is 10ft or 100m it will still pass 1g/sec of data on a cat5e cable. It still does not solve the issue of he is over 100m and is partially answered by the other posts.

Bill MacIntyre

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013

Bill MacIntyre

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013
I have basically the exact same problem.
My family runs a motel and the only ISP available wont change their crappy internet access to high speed even though I am told it just requiores a tech to make a small change.
Next door there is an apartment owned by us as well and they have high speed available there.
I loooked at extending the singnal wirelessly but a friend that does such install regularly says it will not work well because of the number of trees in the way.
The distance is under 1000 ft
We looked at using a coax solution to extend it as well as fiber but fiber would be too much work and overkill I think.
I was thinking today, why could we not simply use cat5 outdoor cable and stick a cheap switch half way between?
If this would work I assume I may need a switch that works using poe and doesn't need to be plugged in.
Comments?
Otherwise does anyone have any suggestions on the cheapet and easiest way to accomplish this and point me to some specific equipment I may need?
Thanks

You can only go just over 300ft. You would likely need 2 switches in between. A switch device that can run on PoE and is designed to go outdoors are not cheap. You need to find a way to protect the switches from physical damage also.

Most the cost and pain is going to be burying the cable so it really doesn't matter what you bury.

I would use the cheapest conduit you can find and run a fiber patch cable though it.

used to be it was extremely expensive to put fiber in. The costs have come way down. I would bet you are under $500 for the 2 end optical devices and the fiber with most the costs being the fiber itself. You could like get it for little less if you went 100m rather than gig....it users the same fiber.

You only copper options are what are called ethernet extenders. These are actually a form of private DSL boxes that run on both ends of the cable. These can run over telephone wire at the distances you have with no repeaters. The speed is distance related but you should get more than 10m Normally you use them on existing wire.

TRENDING THREADS