Forum Homepage Revamp - Your Feedback Requested

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Hey there friends!

As you know, a short while ago we revamped the way the new forum homepage looks to registered users. Adoption was initially slow for some of our longtime users, but metrics are showing that it's easier to use and more people are using it. But...we don't think it's quite there yet. We want your feedback on the new forum homepage for registered users to get it up to snuff.

The biggest criticism we received so far is that subcategories are missing from view. You can still get to them, by navigating to the individual category and then selecting the option from the list to the left, but we got a bit of push-back on this.

The current design idea we're working, going forward, is to have categories populate automatically next to the thread list drop-down under favorited threads. This is when you hover over the icon of one of your favorite categories. (See image below for example)

img-4146_tha_us_1377102933_w_600.JPG

Those items on the right are the subcategories themselves, which you can click on to get to, and also follow the tag (using the little plus).

What do you guys think? What are your recommendations? We're all ears. :)

If I understand you correctly, you are saying there will be a drop down menu for sub categories but only if you have selected it as one of your favorites ?

If I do have this correct then why would you put such a restriction on to the usability of the forum ? If sub categories are available on a mouse over drop down menu then it should be available to all categories as standard.

If I am not correct then please elaborate a little.

Mac

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Sure, I'll try to explain. As it stands, right this moment, if you as a registered member from the forum homepage add a category to your favorites, you can hover your mouse over it and you'll see a listing of the top threads in that category. The change put forth above adds subcategories to that drop-down.

I think there is a login problem with the forum homepage, I just tried to log out and log back in but the password box just remains red and the submit button does not light up but I was able to login from the TH homepage where the login box is different. I'm using FF 23.0.1 and the problem also occurred on IE8.