Desktops that can handle car travel

anne1958

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
I am trying to get licensed in a computer program that will remediate reading disabilities, or will jump children's reading level up by a minimum 1 year. The owner and developer of the program states that I can only use a desk top computer to run the program. So the first question is why? The second question is there a desk top computer that I can pack up and travel around with?
Thank you for your help.
Anne

Skeefers

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
In 15 some odd years of IT work, I've never heard of a program that will only run on a desktop. I'd suggest asking this guy what specifications are necessary to run it, and post them here so I can tell you if there's a laptop that will handle it. My guess is that he's thinking that there aren't any laptops powerful enough to run the software, but I'd be willing to bet that he's wrong. I'd say this is even more likely if he's trying to sell you a desktop, as he may be trying to make a quick buck at your expense. Either way, find out what specs the software requires, and we can take it from there.

Edit: I don't even think there's a way for software to differentiate between whether it's running on a desktop or laptop.

anne1958

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013

anne1958

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Thank you so much for your answer. I believe that what is happening is that they do not wish to give me the license and they are trying every way they can to come up with an excuse. From what I have read, lap tops actually have better visual acuity and a higher pixel count. The licensed contractor here in the US is saying that the developer of the program in Australia is saying that it must be run on a desk top computer. I will try to get further technical information as to why.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
That is really odd considering laptops these days are built better to function as well as desktops do. Not only that is there a reason that you need the desktop to be in certain areas? Really tho if you're on the move it might be better to find out why this program wouldn't work on laptops.

anne1958

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Thank you for your input Midnight. They have stopped the argument so far as lap top versus desktop. Now they are on to another argument. The point is for some odd reason they do not want to sell me a license to run the program. Maybe they are worried that I would question the validity of the program. I have understood that lap tops are actually higher performers than desk tops. Have a good weekend. Anne

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
Would it be possible for you to go somewhere else to get this program? These people are really odd, i wonder if the programmer even knows what he is doing if he can't give you system requirements.

anne1958

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
The Program is called Cellfield. It was created in Australia by a man by the name of Dimitri Gaplyin. I am beginning to wonder if it is not him that is creating these arguments, but the woman in control of the licensing agreements here in the states. I would think that eventually he would make even more money if he marketed the program for in home use, such as Fast Forward did.