What is the best type of pc setup for Gaming?

lynspottery

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
I currently have a 6 year old quad core pc. It still runs great but every once in a while it seems to choke on graphics. So I assume it is time for an update.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. :D
Current pc:
GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

GIGABYTE GA-X48-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80569Q9550

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850 V2 850W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1200 (PC2 9600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-9600CL5D-4GBPI

Seagate SSD Hybrid MomentusXT 465 GB

AZZA Helios 910 Black Japanese SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Single monitor (Samsung) not interested in dual monitor setup

Solution

Oh really like that setup. Is there some possibility of any changes by January ? I think pricing might change by then but I am no expert.

GeekThief-1354135

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
i was in the same place until last month or so when i built my new pc :)

as for best type... best type is really the best you can build for your budget.
i7 with 2x nvidia titans in sli would be very nice :)

but for my budget the best i could do was an i5 with a gtx 770.

so i have to ask what is your budget and are you upgrading you pc or building a new one. and will you be reusing anything ?

lynspottery

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
In about 4-6 months I should be able to budget up to $800-$1,000. However, I would like to reuse my case and anything else I currently have that would still be viable. I realize I may have to get a new motherboard, graphics card, along with updating my power supply, as well as possibly my processor....lol... sound like a complete rebuild doesn't it.

Well, I do not really want to over clock if I do not need it. I discovered only a month ago my graphics card was over clocked and I ended up using Afterburner to turn it down a bit. Did not see any differences so over clocking does not seem to be necessary if I have the right components all working well together. I am not interested in dual monitors so using a graphics card setup for more than one seems unnecessary as well.

I play GW2, Rift and may try out Everquest Next and possibly Final Fantasy XIV. But am not sure yet since many are still in beta and I won't be able to try any just yet to see what I like.

lynspottery

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

Appreciate that link. However, I plan to reuse my Win 7 Ultimate, current hard drives (of which I actually have 3 so I can save some coin on those, and my case. I really like my current case and think it will still be useful.

Note: I had initially listed the wrong power supply....updated that now. So will it be useful for newer parts?

GeekThief-1354135

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
in that case you go go with an i7, a better motherboard or sound card, more memory (but not really needed for gaming), better psu in case you ever want to sli/xfire :)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1uCgz

i know i'm over budget but i'm just trying to show what you could do :)
might be worth checking out some other peoples threads and seeing what they picked :)

lynspottery

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

Oh really like that setup. Is there some possibility of any changes by January ? I think pricing might change by then but I am no expert.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS