Q6600 getting super hot.

devilpup

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Sorry for typos writing this on my phone. I recently helped a friend upgrade their tower. The rig was in an old tin thing with little to no airflow. The upgrade is the antec 900. After transferring all the hardware, it would boot for 30-45secs before shutting off. I reset cmos after realizing it was hot. The processor (q6600) was ocd to 3.0. I put a evo 212 on it with new paste and now I can keep it on but its still running around 83°c with minimal load at 2.4ghz. Memtest shows no issues. All fans are running full speed. I'm stumped. I want to set it back at 3.0 or higher which is why we did thus swap in the first placd , but faint wanna torch the CPU. Here's the info:
Q6600 2.4
LA party p45
4gb DDR
Vega gtx650
540 PSU (not sure what brand)

miggtt699

Distinguished

1- Did you apply the thermal paste correctly?
2- Is your cooler nicely held on the motherboard?
3- Is your system getting any airflow at all? Try removing the side panel and see if the temps drop.

devilpup

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
After replacing the cover and adding another fan the system cooled to about 60°c idle. Not sure why. The fan barely added airflow, but hey, if it ain't broke right? I'm going to try the PC and see if I can keep it cool and stable.

miggtt699

Distinguished

If the problem still persists, try the above.