Windows 7 freezes at boot up, formatted drive, and the installer is also freezing! What's going on?

freesoul88

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
I have an HP Mini 210 series netbook, which was running Windows 7. The other day it crashed all of a sudden, and then it would freeze during boot up, rendering it useless. I couldn't do anything with the BIOS, except change time and date, and boot up order. I tried running the Recover Mode (F11), but it would also freeze.

After much frustration, I was able to at least recover my data using Gparted Live. It would also freeze booting up Gparted, except in Failsafe mode which ran just fine. I also used Gparted to format the hard drive. I didn't remove or format the Recovery partition nor the HP Tools partition.

My hard drive is now empty, so I thought there would be no problem booting the Windows 7 installer from a USB flash drive. I put the flash drive, and right after the "Windows is loading files" screen, it freezes!

I don't know what to do! I'm a complete newbie, so I don't know, do you think this is related to hardware? The fan is working fine, the computer doesn't seem to heat up. What should I do? Should I try XP?

I'm at my wits end! It's not like it's a life or death situation or an excellent computer or anything, but it was nice and portable enough for work, and I'd like to keep it working... I mean, there has to be a fix. So, any help? Thanks!

skarin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
there are a few things this could be it could be a overheating cpu so check your thermal paste on the heatsink and if its dry or not enough there you will need to replace the thermal paste and it could be a problem with your bios so you may need to flash it which i wouldn't recommend unless you know what your doing