Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need Help Choosing a Graphics Card....

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 21, 2013 7:33:41 PM

Here is my system right now:

Mobo: ASROCK 890GX PRO3 (running games on integrated "hd4290" which sucks)
RAM: 12GB of PC1600 Kingston Ram 4x4GB
CPU: PHENOM II X6 1090T Black Edition (six-core)
HDD: 1TB
POWER SUPPLY: 800 watts (I think)

I would like to purchase a video card because I am tired of running Natural Selection 2 at 640x480 with all the settings turned off. It looks horrible. I also want to be able to run other games at full or high specs.

The most I would like to spend is ~$120. I'm looking for a card that is CrossFire capable so much later in the future I could add-in a second one to keep up with newer games.

I'm asking because I'm not to up to date on the specs. For example, I saw 2 similarly priced cards. They were Radeon HD 7770 I believe. One was 1GB of GDDR5 and the other was 2GB of GDDR3???? Is there a difference between GDDR5 and GDDR3? To me it would sound like 2GB is better no?

Thank you for your input.

More about : choosing graphics card

a c 311 U Graphics card
August 21, 2013 7:37:56 PM

You did some good research and the 7770 would be the best option in that price range. With the DDR3 vs DDR5 simply put, 2 gigs of ddr3 is less than 1 gig of ddr5. So getting the ddr5 model is the right choice, ddr3 is shooting yourself in the foot at this point.
August 21, 2013 8:01:48 PM

Oh ok. One more question, what is the difference between 128-bit and 256-bit. Is 256-bit better?
Related resources
a c 311 U Graphics card
August 21, 2013 8:02:56 PM

The bit versions are how large the bandwidth is on the card. So larger is better in this case.
August 21, 2013 8:06:50 PM

have you thought about the gtx 650 ti boost? its performance is better if not on par with the radeon 7770, and its about 20-30 dollars more, (this depends on the company you are buying from). And i seriously don't think that the radeon 770/gtx 650 ti boost will cut it if you plan on playing full/high, on 1080p, if you are playing on 720p (1280x720) than its fine.
August 21, 2013 8:17:50 PM

Carrotz said:
have you thought about the gtx 650 ti boost? its performance is better if not on par with the radeon 7770, and its about 20-30 dollars more, (this depends on the company you are buying from). And i seriously don't think that the radeon 770/gtx 650 ti boost will cut it if you plan on playing full/high, on 1080p, if you are playing on 720p (1280x720) than its fine.




Ohhh okay thank you Gam3r01. I want to stay away from Nvidia cards because AFAIK the motherboard I purchased seems to be optimized for Radeon architecture. Its labeled as Crossfire ready and uses an AMD interface. I am planning on purchasing a Radeon. I just haven't figured out which brand/model. 720p would be a godsend from what I am running now. Currently, I run Natural Selection 2 at 640x480 on the lowest possible settings. It is horrendous.
August 21, 2013 8:19:19 PM

cpincforum said:
Carrotz said:
have you thought about the gtx 650 ti boost? its performance is better if not on par with the radeon 7770, and its about 20-30 dollars more, (this depends on the company you are buying from). And i seriously don't think that the radeon 770/gtx 650 ti boost will cut it if you plan on playing full/high, on 1080p, if you are playing on 720p (1280x720) than its fine.




Ohhh okay thank you Gam3r01. I want to stay away from Nvidia cards because AFAIK the motherboard I purchased seems to be optimized for Radeon architecture. Its labeled as Crossfire ready and uses an AMD interface. I am planning on purchasing a Radeon. I just haven't figured out which brand/model. 720p would be a godsend from what I am running now. Currently, I run Natural Selection 2 at 640x480 on the lowest possible settings. It is horrendous.


well in that case stick with the radeon 7770, you could go on high settings at around 720p with 45+ fps
August 21, 2013 8:31:39 PM

Sorry for all the questions. While I am on a budget, what is more important to me is understanding the features/specifications of a card. I now know 256-bit is better, I also want more memore (ie 2GB is better than 1GB).

But what else am I looking for? Like for example the core clock, the stream processors, effective memory clock? I imagine for all of them, higher is better right?
a c 311 U Graphics card
August 21, 2013 8:32:01 PM

Yeah my 7750 can get me up to ultra 35+ fps on Starcraft 2 Heart of the Swarm. The 7770 has an advantage over mine, mine is also the ddr3 model. Higher speeds are helpful, but arent game changing per say. More memory is better ONLY if its more memory of the same type so 1gb ddr5 vs 2gb ddr5 ect. Only get a dd5 card at this point.
August 21, 2013 8:34:09 PM

cpincforum said:
Sorry for all the questions. While I am on a budget, what is more important to me is understanding the features/specifications of a card. I now know 256-bit is better, I also want more memore (ie 2GB is better than 1GB).

But what else am I looking for? Like for example the core clock, the stream processors, effective memory clock? I imagine for all of them, higher is better right?


nawwww, these forums are meant to help, keep the questions coming if you have any!
August 21, 2013 9:37:16 PM

Fantastic! Thank you for your input gentlemen. Along with it and what I have read form articles I have decided on, and already purchased a card tonight. I went with the HIS H785F2G2M Radeon HD 7850 which I found on Newegg as seen here:

http://

It was a bit more expensive than what I originally wanted but I hope in the long run it will allow me to at least stop playing games at 640x480 :ouch:  Oh I feel so relieved. It seems like a good card, supports CrossFire, and has multiple display ports should I ever feel the need to engulf myself with multiple monitors and build a simulator. Plus I get 2 free games with it! I think I might get Dirt3 annd who knows what else. Thank you again! :) 
a c 311 U Graphics card
August 22, 2013 3:52:30 PM

Yeah that is one great card for budget builds/upgrades.
!