Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Gaming Keypads & Mouse Combo for FPS games!

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
August 22, 2013 4:41:29 AM

Basically there are a few gaming keypads and mice I've been looking at.
3 Razer one's:
Nostromo
Orbweaver
Tartarus (release 9/2/2013 just through this out here in case you guys heard any good news about it)
1 Logitech:
Logitech G13

Mice I am looking at are:
Razer Deathadder: Only reason this hasn't been the fastest choice is cause it doens't seem weight adjustable and has few programmable buttons from what I hear its heavy, accurate as heck and good for large hands. I have large hands and like to rest my palm on the mouse.

Corsair Vengeane: Heard about a slight tracking issue, I believe it has adjustable weights super high DPI and like 8-9 programmable buttons. Kind of the one that has my attention at the moment!

Mad Catz R.A.T. 7: I don't like wireless so no R.A.T. 9 for me. This mouse seems to have the best of both world's but I have seen some of the complaints about the software to program stuff being a bit iffy otherwise this and the R.A.T. 5 both have great reviews!

Let's say I would like the best mouse and keypad to help me perform at say MW3. At which point any other game I can just adjust to accordingly. It's simply MW3 tha I can seem to find what will be best for it. Especially since a gamepad on PC for this game is out of the question. My reason for this is simple I prefer something of a joystick and gamepads have just that. WASD on a keyboard is simply not my thing it doesn't feel natural to me if I want to move diagnally things really start to feel awkward since it would require pressing 2 keys rather than pushing a joystick to the corner in between both. Yes I have tried Xpadder and a gamepad and no it's not any good at all doesn't work for me. Any insight or opinions would be great guys thanks!
a b 4 Gaming
August 28, 2013 11:03:49 AM

Generally, people don't use gamepads for FPS games. It tends to mess most of us up; akin to (as someone else said earlier) switching from an XBOX Controller to a keyboard. However, if you're dead-set on having one, then I recommend the Orbweaver; it has mechanical key-switches, a lot of adjustment, and it's supposed to be quite comfortable.
In terms of mice; the Deathadder is a good mouse, but IMO it's not as good as everyone makes it out to be. The Corsair Vengeance M65 (which is the one that you are talking about) is also a great mouse; on-the-fly DPI adjustment, dedicated sniping button, as well as a high-quality scroll wheel. To me, the R.A.T. mice are kind of weird; they don't go with any setup (style-wise), and I don't find them very easy to use.
As I always say; unless you are extremely serious about gaming, it really all boils down to what you personally like best; which feels most comfortable in your hand, or looks the best at your workstation.
August 28, 2013 11:20:08 AM

I've heard so many reviews from FPS gamers who couldn't get used to the keyboard use a keypad and say that it did wonders for them and every time I ask I hear the Nostromo being the best choice specificaly because of the joystick being in a comfortable spot. Heard the total opposite about the orbweaver being it not very good at all for FPS. I will definitely take your insight into consideration though.
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
August 28, 2013 11:38:27 AM

The Kasafist said:
I've heard so many reviews from FPS gamers who couldn't get used to the keyboard use a keypad and say that it did wonders for them and every time I ask I hear the Nostromo being the best choice specificaly because of the joystick being in a comfortable spot. Heard the total opposite about the orbweaver being it not very good at all for FPS. I will definitely take your insight into consideration though.


I say the Orbweaver simply because of its mechanical keys. Since I first used mechanical keyboards, I hate using anything else; as they, ignorance is bliss. However, if you don't care, then these will all work fine; most differences with these gamepads end up being quite subtle in the end.
a b 4 Gaming
August 28, 2013 1:30:48 PM

I would advise against even considering a mad catz product. Ever since I got my first controller from them back in 97-99, I have never seen or heard of a product lasting for more than 2 months (2 weeks being par many even less). I even tried Trittons when I needed a new headset because they aren't directly branded as mad catz, mic stopped working within a month.

That's not to say there aren't mad catz products that last more than 2 months, but I wouldn't count on getting one.
a b 4 Gaming
August 28, 2013 4:49:17 PM

FastGunna said:
I would advise against even considering a mad catz product. Ever since I got my first controller from them back in 97-99, I have never seen or heard of a product lasting for more than 2 months (2 weeks being par many even less). I even tried Trittons when I needed a new headset because they aren't directly branded as mad catz, mic stopped working within a month.

That's not to say there aren't mad catz products that last more than 2 months, but I wouldn't count on getting one.


I agree completely. Mad Catz has never been my thing, and I'd rather stick with a less radical, more dependable design. There are quite a few mice that I'm sure both of us would recommend over the R.A.T. I have a friend who has it, and it's really not as great as they play it out to be. To my relatively large hands, the adjustments that are available for the mouse seem to only make it more uncomfortable.
August 28, 2013 5:41:10 PM

Thanks for the heads up! I came down to the Anker personally I may consider the M65 later down the road! As far as a gaming keypad I may stick to the Nostromo read a review that really helped make my decision and would be happy with simply going with the Anker and Razer Nostromo! Thanks anyhow guys I really appreciate the insight!
a b 4 Gaming
August 28, 2013 7:52:32 PM

The Kasafist said:
Thanks for the heads up! I came down to the Anker personally I may consider the M65 later down the road! As far as a gaming keypad I may stick to the Nostromo read a review that really helped make my decision and would be happy with simply going with the Anker and Razer Nostromo! Thanks anyhow guys I really appreciate the insight!


Awesome! If something goes wrong, just give us all a s/o and we'll see what we can do to help :) 
June 11, 2014 4:36:38 PM

Hi The Kasafist, how was your experience after almost 1 year? I'm right now with the same dilema. Which combo will you recommend me? I will play basically Arma 3 and batlefield. I also think WASD doesn't feel natural for me :( 


best
!