Is this laptop good for casual gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infinitefail

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
So heres the story, I've never really owned a high performance computer since I use them mainly for college. I've just now want to get into PC gaming and bought this laptop,
Acer Aspire v3 571g-53214g75makk
3rd Gen Intel Core i5 3210 (2.5 ghz - 3.1 ghz dual core)
Nvidia gt630m 2gb dedicated vram
16 gb ddr3 ram
Now what I'm worried about is whether it can run games like Skyrim, GTA IV, Fallout (3, NV) and Assassins Creed
Ive never had a good relationship with two of the laptops I have previously owned (in terms of gaming).....
So..to sum all of this up: Will this laptop be able to run fairly new games on no less than medium settings?
PS: I'm new to this site, so apologies if this is in the wrong section.

For Fallout you should be fine on medium settings, and depending on which Assassins Creed you might be also. Skyrim I think may be a bit more trouble for it. Laptops that can game everything on good settings are a bit expensive. If you haven't bought it yet, this one would do you better.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314119&RandomID=730312411219615120130819151013

The CPU is just a little worse in some cases and better in other cases. Its a quad core. The graphics are a significant amount better, more comparable to the Nvidia 640M GTX The RAM is only 4GB but for an extra $60 you can upgrade it to 12GB and it makes an excellent system. If you have already bought it though do not worry as it should still give good performance.

Infinitefail

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
Actually, I just ordered it online a couple days ago and in anticipation started asking around if it could game :)
Well, too late now anyways. What about Skyrim on low settings and I'm pretty sure I could take Falllout 3 up to Ultra considering my old Amd A3 1.8 ghz of a computer could run it on medium..plus it is kinda old now (2008)

Yea Fallout 3 you probably could take it up to ultra but you won't be able to play it. You can play Fallout New Vegas though.
Fallout 3 is 100% incompatible with Windows 7 and Windows 8. I took an old PC I got in 2009 with a single core processor and gave it a full overhaul just to play Fallout 3 pretty much cause my current PC cannot with me running Windows 7.

That being said, I have taken Fallout: New Vegas with no AA up to a mix of medium and low settings even on Intel HD 4000 Graphics an those things are quite weak.

Also I looked this up for you.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-630M.63761.0.html

Scroll down for a list of games played on this card and the FPS results. Skyrim actually is playable on medium settings usually, so you will probably be fine.

Infinitefail

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
Really? That sucks since Fallout 3 is pretty much my favourite game of all time :(
Well, thanks for the assistance and that website. Cheers.

yea sorry about it. It does really suck. Though if you have an old copy of Windows Xp you could set up a virtual machine, but the performance won't be the same.

You could do a second partition with Windows XP that would be your best bet. I hate how bad it is too, but I tried numerous mods and patches and everything and could never get it to work on Windows 7. I have a lot of doubts Windows 8 has improved that. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.