3 Sickleflows
i5-3570k
ASRock z75 Pro3
Vengeance 8GB (same as Haswell)
300GB Velociraptor
GTX 760
TX650
Win 7

Now, question you are asking is... what are you going to do with these?!

Mostly gaming, overclocking a bit, and that's it! My laptop (one I'm writing from) is going to do the editing, school work, uploading to YouTube, etc.

So, my "criteria" are, in order of what I want most:

Gaming performance (BF3 Ultra @ 1920x1080)
Overclocking (goofing around)
Future proof (how much years?)

Just to give you an insight on it's life, it's pretty much going to be my main gaming rig, upgrade until it can't game anymore, then it will replace my laptop for editing/streaming/work, then when it gets "pushed out" of it's editing PC place, I OC it to max capacity and keep it around until it can't even go on (insert name of Internet in 2030)

So yea, that's it, if you can I'd appreciate advise, especially from the "processor experts/authority", the "MOBO experts/authority" and overclockers if they'd like :)

Thanks and have a nice day, tell me if you'd like more details, even though I don't even think I have more

the.england.guy

G

Humm... even though it might cost more, I'm quite the fanboy when it comes to GPU and CPU, I won't buy anything except Intel and NVidia, so that's why. I've had disappointing experiences with Radeon, and I'm not willing to spend a grand on something I don't quite like at the moment of purchase.

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador

I see.. well it is your call and the 760 is pretty good too.

G

I would've picked another case if I didn't like this one. So, which is best, the Haswell or the Ivy? Which games better, which OCs better? I'm all set on my GPU and case dude... I'm not asking for your build, I'm asking for advice on these builds from people who are better at this than I am.

Thanks anyways, but don't modify what I chose, except the MOBO, cooling options and PSU. I'm no Radeon fan, and white simple cases are what I find nice, I don't want my computer to look like a jet fighter.

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador

Ah, well everyone does have their preferences. Anyway in short, the haswell performs better and is just $12 more than the ivy. Also many future games are going to rely on hyper threading technology which is in the haswell CPUs.

Neither CPU has hyperthreading, the only i5s that have hyperthreading are the mobile models which are dual cores with hyperthreading. There is also going to be a low power Haswell i5 for desktop that will also be a dual core with hyperthreading. Performance wise, Ivy and Haswell are very close, with only about 5-10% boost clock for clock on Haswell, and in gaming that difference is miniscule. Haswell doesn't overclock as well as Ivy Bridge, so that effectively eliminates the Haswell's performance advantage if you intend to overclock. Haswell's main advantages are better integrated graphics, which you won't use, and that the 8 series chipsets feature more 6Gbps SATA ports, which is good news if you want to use lots of SSDs I guess. Haswell also has the new AVX2 instruction set, but no games use that, no games even use the original AVX introduced on Sandy Bridge.

I'd say, get whichever you want, if you can think of a better use for the $12 you'll save with Ivy, go with that. If you don't care about saving $12, or don't intend to overclock, get Haswell.

G

Thanks man, appreciate the help :) so I guess I'll get the Ivy! I knew I was building a Haswell for nothing.. at least it was fun

Do you get "points" if I choose you as the answer? Because I think it's what I will do

No problem, I think there used to be a scoring system on this site, but I think the points disappeared when they revamped the site a few months ago. Anyway, it's recommended that you pick a best answer so the thread can be marked solved.