First build....Family/Gaming Budget build $500-$600

CFD3Captain

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
As the title states, I am going to attempt my first build and would like do some some gaming on it. The wife is going back to school next week and she will need to use it some and I figure the kids (12 and 8) will use it as well. I need something that will play most games with a decent FPS (i can suffice not being on the highest settings) I will probably pick up a few shooters (BF/COD) and plan to play a few racing sims (iracing and VRC Pro)

Budget Range: 500-600 After Rebates etc...The cheaper...the happier the wife :)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Online school work (have office already) surfing the net

Are you buying a monitor: I might buy one eventually but does not need to be included in the build. Plus my 47" HDTV will be close enough to use if need be

I have always liked AMD, but am not bias to either AMD or Intel. I just want the best bang for the buck that I won't have to put any money into for awhile. One other thing I need is a good wireless card/adapter. I can't run ethernet in the house because of finished basement :( Also have a Win7 OS I can use to help save some $$$

I think that cover's it. If not please ask...I am on here a lot right now looking for that right build.

One more thing, I keep forgetting how the build thing seems to work, but I would like to limit the venders to as few as possible. I don't mind ordering from a few, but for the ease of ordering from one or two would be GREAT :)

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador
This is towards the upper end of your budget BUT you can tell your wife it's worth it because you wont have to upgrade in a long time :). I put together the best build within your budget and should be able to play all the games you want to on the highest settings.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($149.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 EXTREME4 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($94.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($120.80 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus USB-N13 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter ($14.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Zalman Z12 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($38.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $618.69
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-22 14:34 EDT-0400)

CFD3Captain

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
Thanks! It looks good although I don't see WiFi. I'll have to checkout the parts you posted ! I have been out of the computer scene for awhile so I am still researching and reading about things. I bought a MacBook a few years ago and it's been the best "laptop" purchase I have ever made. I will wait and see what else comes in, but she's on me to buy or do something soon LOL

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador

Haha a Mac you say.. you could of got a way better windows laptop for the money, ah well. Anyways if you need wifi I can add a wireless network adapter for about $15 more.. doing it right now
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited first post

CFD3Captain

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
Haha, maybe so, but I had two laptops prior to it that combined lasted about 4 years. They were crap and I spent well over what the Macbook cost. So I am working on about 2 1/2 years with it now and not a single issue. No reformats or pc drama I had in the past. Maybe things have come along since my last PC purchase LOL. I guess I am about to find out......

[/quotemsg]

Haha a Mac you say.. you could of got a way better windows laptop for the money, ah well. Anyways if you need wifi I can add a wireless network adapter for about $15 more.. doing it right now
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited first post
[/quotemsg]

CFD3Captain

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
Would this be a better video card since it's 2gb compared to the 1gb listed in build above? Still new to all of this...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102998

It's actually the same price now that the coupon deal expired....If not better can you explain to me why? Thanks!

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador

Nice find. Yep if it's on a discount I would go for it as it is better. 1GB vs 2GB is a significant difference... I didn't include it because it was a bit out of your budget.

TRENDING THREADS