Futureproof like you used to. What is the best Mobo+CPU for price+future reliability

spongist

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
Time has come to upgrade from a Intel Q6600 to a Haswel. It's a big step. When I built my current PC I made sure to futureproof it. And it worked. 8 years ago I bough the Asus P5W DH Deluxe and a Intel core 2 duo, knowing that I could go all the way up to a Intel QX9560. Unfortunately I reached the Q6600 and then my PSU burnt my mobo!

So the question is, how do I do the same with the current Intel and Asus setup? It seems so much more complicated and seeing that the 1150 doesn't support the 1155 that means that I can't do what I did 8 years ago and futerproof my mono to support a better CPU in the next 10 years.

Any ideas?

My favourites at the moment is Asus z87 Deluxe and Intel 4670K

computer_nugget2

Distinguished
the only way to really future proof right now, is to go AMD. but AMD is bringing out a new line of cpu at the end of the year and who knows if they have a new socket too. but the am3+ socket seems like it will stay for a while.

but if you get haswell. the best thing to do is, get the best cpu for the socket 1150. and overclock it somewhat. you will get performance that should last several years.

spongist

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
Yeah. Unfortunately the price margin for the i5 4570 and i7 4770 isn't that big. It would make sense to go for the cheaper one and in a few years upgrade to the 4770. But by the looks of it going for the more powerful cpu is an option.