cpu water cooling or big air cooling?

kuki999

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
i'm going to build a gaming pc and i dont know what cooling to choose water cooling or air cooling
specs are:

Inte Core i7-4770K
Gigabyte Z87X-OC
Samsung 840 evo ssd 120gb
Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8gb)
2x EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780
be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 1000W
2x Seagate Barracuda 3tb
Corsair 900d

i want to overclock to 4.5Ghz and its my first time using such a powerful CPU
and for the 32gb ram i work with adobe premiere and want to start youtube :D
should i get a closed loop water cooling or get a big A$$ air cooler like a huge one?

Spencer1-1282133

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
Yeah those 2 are great competitors in their respective categories. However, the H100i sounds like a leafblower with the fans on high.

The Noctua nh-d14 is quite similar in performance to the H100i. However, it is very quiet. Noctua fans are very, VERY quiet. I just got a used nh-d14 online from amazon's warehouse deals that was supposedly with all parts included, but it was missing a fan (yeah they really screwed it up) and thermal compound, along with some of the mounting screws. I sent it back today.

I did plug the fans in to another system though to see how quiet they were. I was impressed to say the least, considering the type of fans I was used to.

I would go for the noctua. However, Haswell has some heat issues that are similar to Ivy Bridge's, only more pronounced from what I hear. On some chips, any realistic amount of cooling doesn't get you as far as you'd hope. Don't let that discourage you though. A Noctua will still do really well compared to anything else. Depends how you do in the silicon lottery :)

What kind of water-cooling are you talking here?
A CLC (your Corsair Hydro, Coolermaster Seidon, NZXT Kraken type coolers) or a full on Custom Loop?

If it a CLC, dont bother and stick with air, you get a much better value. A Custom Loop, go for it, its a pretty bad value proposition but you get performance you simply cant achieve on air or CLC's.

DanielJozsef

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
Honestly, I once built a water cooling system, and it was fun as a project, but I doubt I'd ever go to the trouble of doing it again.
There's a LOT that can go wrong with liquid cooling. You can have electrolytic reactions, oxidization or microbial growth in cooler labyrinths, the pump can break down, the pipes can - and will - grow brittle with continued use... And servicing the system becomes a bloody chore.
A well-designed air cooling solution can bring down the temperatures quite well, and is a lot easier to service. Much less compatibility questions to keep a lookout for, too. You just blow out the dust every month, and replace some fans when they get worn out and noisy. And no liquid splashing out, no plastic pipes limiting your ability to disassemble the system, etc.