ASUS P8Z68V Pro: Doesn't stay on for more than 4 seconds

Alright, I built my first computer a few years ago and then proceeded to forget every single thing I knew about computer hardware. Today, I opened it up to stick some RAM in. I ended up having to dismount the CPU cooler and mount it in a different orientation to fit all 4 in. The specs (currently) are:

MOBO: P8Z68V Pro
CPU: i5 2500k
RAM: 16GB of G Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 RAM (previously 8GB)
GPU: GeForce GTX 560 Ti
PSU: 700W Coolermaster Silent Pro

Immediately after plugging in the PSU and turning it on, 4 lights turn on: the red power light, the green "RESET" light, and two green LEDs near the RAM slots. No fans turn on. There are no beeping noises at all. Nothing at all happens when I press the main power button on the front of the case. The red light stays on forever (which I believe is how it functions normally) but the green lights only stay on for about 4 seconds and then turn off. Only a reset of the power supply gets them to stay on again, and it's the same 4 second duration every time.

I've tried taking out all but 1 RAM stick to see if I had merely seated the RAM wrong, but nothing I do with the RAM makes it work again. I'm pretty sure that none of the power cables are loose.

What steps should I take next, with only the information I am getting from the MOBO lights?

Thanks for reading.
5 answers Last reply
More about asus p8z68v pro stay seconds
  1. I suggest taking the board outside the case, reseating the CPU cooler (and checking The CPU socket for bent pins). Then test the board with only the necessary components (board still outside the case).
  2. alexoiu said:
    I suggest taking the board outside the case, reseating the CPU cooler (and checking The CPU socket for bent pins). Then test the board with only the necessary components (board still outside the case).

Thank you for replying. I did some more fiddling, and found out that the computer boots flawlessly if I press the red power light on the mobo. So now I know there's nothing wrong with the CPU or RAM.

However, the problem has changed: The main power switch on the case remains unresponsive. The only way to boot is to press the button on the mobo.

At this point, I feel like I should also explain that I have been having another problem since I first built the PC, which may be related to this problem: Quite often, the computer fails to boot on the first try and needs to do it 2-3 times before the monitor displays anything. Everytime it performs this cycle, I get a "Overclocking failed! Press F1 to enter setup." American Megatrends screen. I always just press F1 to enter the BIOS, change none of the settings, and then leave the BIOS. After that, the computer boots flawlessly into Windows. I have never tried to overclock my PC, so it always bewilders me that I get this screen.

What do you think I should try next?
  3. With all wires from the case disconnected, try shorting the 2 pins with a screwdriver (it's what the power button does when pressed). If working, then you'll know that it's a case power switch issue.
  4. I'm an idiot. Turns out I unplugged the the case wires and forgot to plug them back in. Thanks for putting in the effort to help me.
  5. You're welcome. Don't worry. It happens.
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Light RAM Boot Motherboards