desperatly trying to setup NIC teaming (Intel) with HP 2810-24g

firewireflow

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
hi guys,

I am desperately trying to setup NIC teaming to increasing the performance connecting via smb share to an nas4free server.

the situation:

-z8pe-d12x motherboard with 2x intel 82574L Gigabit Adapters (in my windows 7 workstation)

-HP 2810-24g switch

-Intel ANS network drivers installed

-airport gives static IP to each of the network adapters via DHCP

here is what i did so far:

after installing i get the tab "teaming" within the network adapters in the device manager. i set up the teaming with the second adapter and chose "Dynamic Link Aggregation".

On the switch I trunk two ports in LACP. the trk1 group is untagged (default VLAN)

The newly create "virtual Network Adapter" shows up in the device manager and both network adapters show up as active (ready to receive and send traffic). The Problem now is that Windows tries to connect to the network but after identifying for a while it just says "Unidentified Network" and doesnt connect :(

It drives me nuts!!! I have been researching and trying all day long but nothing helped.

Additional info:

my network adapters get their static ip via dhcp (adapter 1 = 10.0.1.33, adapter 2 = 10.0.1.34)

After the teaming", the new "virtual" adapter has the same mac address as physical adapter 1 but gets a totally random ip assigned (something that starts with 192)

Please, please help me! I am desperate!

Thanks in advance!

LACP is a pain in the butt to get to work many times. It is highly likely you do not actual have the trunk active on both ends. Although you could spend time trying to figure out how to match the settings on the switch and the PC it is generally easier to just manually define the trunk on both ends.
You could I guess put a static IP on virtual adapter and see if it is just a DHCP thing but I doubt it.

firewireflow

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
thanks for your reply!

since I am a total newbie with this kind of stuff could you tell me exactly what to do? what do you mean by having the trunk active on both ends?

the only trunk I can configure is on the switch itself? where is the other end?

On the pc you must also set the trunk up. Problem is nobody uses constant names for any of this stuff...nic teaming is what microsoft likes to call it.

The HP side I know how to and have done many times...it is well documented by hp the various LACP and non LACP ways to do it.

The PC side is the part that always gives me issues. There should be a option to force the teaming to ON and not run LACP. This is always the main problem with LACP. If both ends do not have it set right it decides you do not want to run bonded ports.

firewireflow

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
as far as i know windows 7 doesn't support teaming. its a feature that comes after installing the Intel ANS drivers.

does it makes sense to trunk the ports in simple trunk mode instead of LACP and then do a SLA (static link aggregation)?

i guess this is worth a try...