Hard drive stopping the computer from booting

What should I do to fix my computer?

• Total voters

AngelOnFira

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013
So I have finished building my gaming pc and I installed windows and started using the computer. Suddenly I shut it down once and could not restart it. What would happen was it would boot and only get to pre-bios, where it would show a screen that showed the copyright of the motherboard. It would go through some codes at the bottom and stop at a2. I figured out that if I just unplugged my HHD and left my SSD (the one with windows) plugged in, I could go to windows just fine.
This means that I do have all of the cables and power plugged in, its just an issue with the HDD. I believe the reason for my issues with this HHD is before I shut it down that on fateful day, this is what happened;
When I installed windows, it went on the SSD. I didn't want to install all of my games on there, because it is only a 120gb drive. So I went to "Computer" and could not find any other drives then my HHD. I looked into it and found out that I needed to go into "manage" from my computer and "disk management" where I then made a partition on the HHD. I am not sure the exact settings I used, how ever there are two things I remember. First there was a pop-up with the format I wanted to use, and I left it with the one that was already selected. Then I also remember something about exFat, however I don't believe that was the format I was talking about... its just something I remember from that page.
So I believe that what is needed is some way to completely reset the HHD, and I'm not sure how to do that because I cant do anything or even boot while it is plugged in. Also there is the power and sata for the drive, and then also an 8-pin thing. I'm assuming this has to do something with master and slave, however those are also just words I have heard thrown around. I will post my computer specs down below, and if you want any pics or anything, just post a comment and i'll get to it. Any comments will be greatly appreciated, as I really want to get going!

Comp specs;
-NZXT Vulcan case
-i5-4670k
-asus 770 geforce
-120gb kingston SSD
-3tb barracuda HHD
-16gb corsair ram
-550 watt PSU

(I dont have the comp right here so I dont have the model number or anything, ask if you need them)

Thanks for reading!

There are several free partition apps that will boot with a disk. Download one and boot up with it then format the HDD as a logical drive and give it a letter. Your comp should boot with both drive installed.

AngelOnFira

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013

Ok, would there be one you recommend? And will it be able to boot to it with the error I've been given?

I use a paid for versions of acronis True Image and disk director which I have both on one boot disk that gives me a choice of which to boot into. A lot of ssd manufacturers have free versions of acronis software. I recomend Acronis, easy to use etc. It will boot a PC even if there is no hard drive at all.

Here's some to chose from:
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=free+partition+boot+cd&ei=UTF-8&fr=moz35

Most any partition software will do the job for you, I would think.

AngelOnFira

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013

also I was just thinking of getting an external hard drive enclosure so that I can plug in my hard drive and format it directly from windows

You might have the same problem if it is formatted incorrectly like it is now.

One thing you could try is to uninstall the ssd and install the HDD and boot up with windows install disk. At the beginning of windows install you should see disk options and advanced options. Let windows do a quick format then quit the install. Then install your ssd again with the hdd and see what happens when you boot up.