hd led tv vs ips monitor for window display

jkjack

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013
i need a tv or monitor to display photos in a window of my gallery...the photos will be displayed in a slide show that has the photo in the center and the colors/designs of the photo making a kaleidascope image around the borders...whoever is viewing this will likely be standing only a few away as to step back will put one in the street...i've noticed that the photo images are much better on my monitor than on a 32 inch lcd tv...in this situation, will a led tv, which is probably cheaper serve my purposes or will the more expensive monitor be a better choice (monitor may be 27in., tv will be 32)...thanks

Solution
how important is color accuracy?

since you are just using it as an advertising medium you may be able to get away with a cheap TN or VA type monitor if you wanted to. a small television would also work. typically ips monitors are used for graphic design work or other professions where accuracy is key. the only ips i could suggest you getting would be e-ips for the wider viewing angle which you would benefit from.

the smaller the screen at the same resolution the sharper the image will be. as far as color accuracy this depends on the panel type. as far as backlighting goes this depends on the backlight used.
how important is color accuracy?

since you are just using it as an advertising medium you may be able to get away with a cheap TN or VA type monitor if you wanted to. a small television would also work. typically ips monitors are used for graphic design work or other professions where accuracy is key. the only ips i could suggest you getting would be e-ips for the wider viewing angle which you would benefit from.

the smaller the screen at the same resolution the sharper the image will be. as far as color accuracy this depends on the panel type. as far as backlighting goes this depends on the backlight used.

Solution

jkjack

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013

a led tv is still a lcd tv. many people make this mistake.
led only refers to being backlit by leds instead of ccfl tubes.

there is almost no difference between the two unless you compare the high end, and even then its only in how good the blacks look and some boost to contrast. in low end models which you will be pursuing there will not be much of a difference. any difference you see in the store is likely just differences between the different panel types used in the construction. some models look good, some dont. televisions have always been like this which is why i suggest looking at them in person. keep in mind that someone could also have screwed up the settings on one of the televisions as well making it an unfair comparison.

the only real benefit of led at your level of purchase is power savings.

also make sure that the televisions you are comparing with are 1080p. at 32" or smaller there are many on the market which are only 720p which would be a very severe quality drop over a typical monitor which is useually 1080p.

by image quality my guess is that you mean sharpness. i will assume that you are using a 1080p monitor. if that is the case you have around 95 pixels per inch while in the case of a 1080p 32" tv you have around 69ppi and on a 720p 32" tv you have about 46ppi.

i am currently using a 40" 1080p which has about 56ppi at around 3.5 feet away and it works out fine. while details are not as sharp as a monitor things appear much larger which makes it ideal for some scenarios. honestly its a tradeoff: sharpness for size.

monitors are not all that expensive. here are a few in the size range to look at just for price comparison.
http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/monitor/#s=3000,2980,2900,2750,2700,2600&h=60&sort=a9

for photo editing you may want a nicer monitor with color accuracy especially if you plan on tweaking color values, contrast and hues. if all you intend to do with photo editing is cropping then not so much.

-----

a 32" 1080p 60hz television (either led for power savings or ccfl for a few dollars cheaper in price doesnt matter) from a reputable brand would likely work well. you could even use this for photo editing if you wanted. i would go with sony, samsung or lg (in that order).

a 24-27" 1080p 60hz monitor (tn or va) would also likely work. tn typically has a really bad viewing angle but modern advancements in screen coatings have improved this somewhat. va is a little better off.

if you are worried about viewing angle you could always just go with e-ips in the same size. for $250-300 you can find some. if you wait until they go on a big sale you might get an even better price though not likely by much.

if you intend to do alot of color correction on photos you may want to think about an 8bit monitor (most monitors are 6bit) since they can display many more colors. of course these are at least double the price of e-ips and typically go for $550+ which doesnt make them very nice on a budget. of course if its not important work or if you feel color accuracy isnt too important you are likely fine with tn, va or e-ips.