My PSU is too noisy

Sevenarth

Honorable
Aug 24, 2013
Hi everyone, i'm new here on this forum since i'm italian and i usually ask and solve questions on the tom's hw italian forum.
I'm asking here because this is a larger community than mine.
Well, my power supply, which is an XFX Pro 650W XXX (P1-650X-XXB9), makes a lot of noise since i bought it (4-5 months ago), but i've ever thought that it was common. Compared to my older psu, a LC-POWER LC6650GP3 V2.3 which is very quiet almost inaudible, is very very noisier. This new one is actually noisier than the entire system, even in idle. When I play the system is almost quiet, while the psu is freaking loud.

I've done a recording with my phone, where i compare the rear fan of my case and the rear vent of the psu (not the fan itself).
The recording: http://

You can hear in the first part the rear fan of my case, in the middle part the noise from the rear vent of the psu, and on the last part, less important, the coil whine of my gpu. Sorry if sometimes you can hear the wind noise (i don't know exactly how to call it), but since my phone has a decent mic, i had to put its mic very close.

I hope in your answers, and sorry if i'm not understandable :)

computer_nugget2

Distinguished
well the easiest thing you can do is get a new power supply.

there are other methods like removing the fan from the power supply and replacing it with a quieter one. the last method (which is dangerous and should not be used unless its an absolute last resort) is to take the cute the fan wire from inside the power supply and solder them onto the 5v line inside the power supply.

[edit] forgot to mention that opening up your power supply is dangerous and voids your warranty.

Sevenarth

Honorable
Aug 24, 2013
Yes I know, that with the opening of my psu i'll void the warranty. I was thinking about replacing the fan, but the installed one is a 135mm and fans like this aren't easy to find, especially powerful and quiet.
Anyway i know that the installed fan is connected by a 2-pin connector onto the psu PCB, it is an ADDA ADN512UB-A90.
Since the original fan is a 135mm, i wanted to buy a 140mm one, and in case it's impossible to screw in i could use the hot glue to attach onto the PSU chassis, then split the +12/GND and Speed control in two connectors, the first one to plug in onto the PSU PCB and the last one onto the motherboard PSU fan connector, to check the speed of the fan itself; or in case of a PWM, connecting it completely to the motherboard and controlling it by myself.
I also know that when i'm playing, it's still the loudest thing in my system, and if a put my hand on the rear vent of the psu, I can feel a cold air passing through it, so I think that let spinning the fan so fast, isn't necessary. Then, is it the fan or the temperature sensor faulty?
I was also trying to connect the fan from my old psu on the new one, but once i opened it to take the fan, i found out that it's soldered on the PCB.

computer_nugget2

Distinguished
you can use hot glue if you want, personally i would use zip ties, but thats because im too lazy to actually glue anything lol. if the fan doesnt have a temperature sensor then its probably designed to be really fast from the start.

if you can fit a case fan in there but you dont want to solder it, then get a case fan and plug the fan into the motheboard instead. but you are definitely gonna need a quieter fan to plug in there.