Power Supply Requirements for new card (is mine enough?)

gunner007

Honorable
Aug 24, 2013
I know it's a stupid question, but I'm planning on upgrading my old 1st gen i7 system and I've been using my trust 850W Antec Quattro for years.

I plan on purchasing a new 770 or 780 graphics card but I saw the following disclaimer

(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 42 Amps.)

Antec TPQ-850 is the model of the unit, however it says it has 4 12V rails, but say 28A on each rail. So does this mean the power supply is unable to drive the card, or will at reduced power?

I was looking at Corsair's 750W solution, and it says a single 12V rail, at 62A. Is there a benefit to multiple rails?

Long story short, I just want to know if I need to buy a new power supply ahead of time :)

shamsmu

Honorable
May 30, 2012
Antec would give you 4x28A in theory, there is no reduced amount.

The point is, any decent corsair, antec, sea sonic psu would let you stay ahead of time. That's because the newer cpus and gpus actually require less power than their predecessors. However, I would recommend a 850w unit like a corsair tx850 or the antec truepower so you can confidently sli at least 2 high end cards like gtx680/780 and still have headroom

gunner007

Honorable
Aug 24, 2013
Ah okay, wasn't sure if they added together or if it needed its own dedicated rail.

So I should be okay then with my old Antec 850. I don't really plan on doing SLI for now as I have neither the funds nor desk room for multiple screens :(

At this point I only plan on running a single GTX 780 in my new rig with my 1920x1200 monitor.

I'll keep in mind the newer corsairs (was what I was looking at), but if I can keep mine for a bit longer in the single GPU configuration, I could at least save $150 for now. Just wanted to make sure I'll be ok :)