Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Elder Scrolls Online Will Have a Monthly Subscription

Last response: in News comments
August 24, 2013 6:02:40 PM

well, no elder scrolls online for me then. I refuse to play any game that includes any fee other than the purchase price.
Score
August 24, 2013 6:09:26 PM

This is great news if it keeps asshats from playing due to the cost but it probably will not have this affect.

Seems so many multiplayer games have to include this kind of player.
Score
Related resources
August 24, 2013 6:17:37 PM

Unless expansions are included with the subscription, players will not have ALL content. Subscription-based MMOs usually follow the same pay-to-play / pay-to-win progression model of F2P games .. only with a sharp and distinct time interval rather than constant. For instance, your character cannot reach level 60 until you buy that expansion that "unlocks" it.

I do not believe subscription-based or any other model has even been selected for the good of players. Only for the ease of managing that MMOs budget, where a subscription of players x $15 is easier to predict rather than f2p random economy.
Score
August 24, 2013 7:04:38 PM

NightLight said:
well, no elder scrolls online for me then. I refuse to play any game that includes any fee other than the purchase price.

monthly fees help support the game, why are people so against this? If its F2P they will have money sinks anyways like stores to buy skins, powerups, etc. So just pay a fee, and enjoy the game.
Score
August 24, 2013 7:11:32 PM

Seriously $15 per month? I can save up the money and buy 3 games per year with that money (without taxes or shipping)...
Score
a b 4 Gaming
August 24, 2013 7:28:59 PM

Pay per month has good and bad. The bad is you can't test the game out, but the good is that if you get into it, and want to do all there is in game, it is actually cheaper than F2P, as F2P charges you for all sorts of transactions needed to play seriously.

I frankly prefer a monthly fee than having to mess with all the up charge nonsense with F2P.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
August 24, 2013 7:33:24 PM

Hmm okay, so free DLCs? No micro transaction shop? Still a 59.99 game with some sort of starter kit 89.99 one? Why bethesda? Why now? You've been so good to me
Score
August 24, 2013 7:37:06 PM

Pay to win games are lame imo, either you don't have access to the advanced toys or you have to pay for them alternatively you have to grind 20x the time it takes to get the same items. If Bethesta intend to take a chapter from E.V.E's way of subscriptions i'm happy to pay them since it ensures the game will continually be updated with expansions without paying any additional money.

World of Warcraft model both wants your money for the expansions AND pay a subscription each month to be able to play your already bought expansion. I don't say keeping servers up is free but hell it don't cost 12$ / month per subscriber. (Yes they made billions / year from the subscriptions alone and yet wanted more when expansions were made, now that that income have dropped due to more and more left the game all of a sudden they can afford to give out additional content w/o payment like the 5.4 patch... strikes me as they were overly greedy and now see that in the revenue stream).

If Bethesda intend to go with the E.V.E approach i'm all for that, everyone will play the mmo with the same rules, unlike any "f2p" model where skill is less important as money can make up for that....
Score
a b 4 Gaming
August 24, 2013 7:48:14 PM

This game had better be really good.. They are trying to **** us. This game had better come with a gift card to a fine dining establishment, because I like to be wined and dined before I get ******
Score
August 24, 2013 7:56:32 PM

oh well, and I thought it looked interesting...
Score
August 24, 2013 8:00:28 PM

15 dollars a month is steep. They should at least have some kind of discount for purchasing a bulk subscription for like a couple of months or a year.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
August 24, 2013 8:10:22 PM

thesuperguy said:
15 dollars a month is steep. They should at least have some kind of discount for purchasing a bulk subscription for like a couple of months or a year.

They probably will.

I don't understand how $15/month is so expensive. Besides online stuff that is nearly free, it is about the cheapest entertainment per hour there is.
Score
August 24, 2013 8:10:23 PM

No thanks Bethesda. I've played games all my life without dishing out that kind of monthly fee just to play a video game that I already payed for.
Score
August 24, 2013 8:13:28 PM

I paid for a WoW subscription for 7 years before canceling. After playing Neverwinter and spending $30 on Zen for very little return, I've come to realize that maybe the monthly subscription model isn't so bad. Neverwinter is the only game I've played like this, but the prices are absolutely insane. $10 for a bag with no way to craft even a small bag in game. $3 for profession packs that almost always give you the minimum they advertise. $35 for some epic mounts, $8 for fashion items that do nothing at all. Crazy.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
August 24, 2013 8:15:45 PM

beayn said:
I paid for a WoW subscription for 7 years before canceling. After playing Neverwinter and spending $30 on Zen for very little return, I've come to realize that maybe the monthly subscription model isn't so bad. Neverwinter is the only game I've played like this, but the prices are absolutely insane. $10 for a bag with no way to craft even a small bag in game. $3 for profession packs that almost always give you the minimum they advertise. $35 for some epic mounts, $8 for fashion items that do nothing at all. Crazy.

They get your money one way or another. Pay per month will have everyone pay equally. Free to play, causes only the people into the game to pay, and they pay through the nose to make up for those who barely play.
Score
August 24, 2013 8:18:44 PM

bethesda. stahp.

pls.

pls stahp.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
August 24, 2013 8:20:48 PM

$15 ($180 / year) is kind of absurd
IMO When you buy software, you should be granted unlimited use of it without further payments.
Score
August 24, 2013 8:54:14 PM

Thats a lot !!!
Score
August 24, 2013 8:55:28 PM

It'll be F2P after awhile I'm sure, nearly every MMO that's released since WoW couldn't avoid that fate. I'll play the included month and then wait for it to go F2P. I can't afford to spend half of my monthly gaming budget on an MMO subscription.
Score
August 24, 2013 9:06:21 PM

I think it's amusing all these people objecting to the sub model. I guess the reality of compensation never occurred to them, they just want it as free as possible.

The funny thing is, their F2P model often charges a lot more for one time use items then the sub model costs with items earned by quest for free that often can be used more then once. (Almost all quest items in FFXI for example can be used indefinitely.)

But hey, if they want to give the developers all their money, more power to them. But they should also realize they're paying for others to play as well. Nothing is free, the cost will be recouped from you somehow, somewhere, and often, it's going to be higher then what the sub model charged.

I've been playing FFXI for a bit over 7 years, I've paid upwards of 1400$ in that time span, not counting expansions. And I wouldn't ask for that money back for anything, because the quality of the content I've been able to experience is greater then anything I've seen in all these F2P games put together.

Btw, for comparison, if you bought 20$ worth of items every month for a F2P game store (so like, 1 semi useful 1 time item or fashion piece, maybe 2 crappy one time items), you'd pay about 1800$ in the same time span. More items, would cost more. 2 pricey items would be crazy (Around 3600$)

So good luck with you guys F2P games.

Personally, I applaud Bethesda for going a sub route. I wish them the best.
Score
August 24, 2013 9:18:57 PM

I was so hoping it would be F2P. Darn, no TESO for me either. I just won't spend hundreds on a game, sorry. I hope for their sake they don't go the SWTOR way and have to switch and then die slowly. It would suck if the series ended that way. Good luck with that!
Score
August 24, 2013 9:36:43 PM

And that ends the deal, no ESO for me!
Score
August 24, 2013 9:39:14 PM

No ESO for me!
Score
August 24, 2013 9:40:40 PM

While $15 per month isn't that much money, I do agree with those that think it's too much AFTER you just spent $60 for a game. I understand there is server upkeep as well as content upkeep but these companies have to realize that WoW is not the norm, it is an anomaly. How many other games tried to bring down WoW and failed? But for some reason these companies don't try one thing and that is try to undercut WoW! Why not charge $5, $8 or even $10 per month instead of $15? Right now would be the best time to try that knowing that WoW is losing players. I played WoW for a good 5 yrs before I got tired of it and moved on to other MMOs like Star Wars & Guild Wars 2 but I found out one thing, they are all like WoW but with a different Skin :(  That was disappointing because I got bored of them really fast :(  I don't know if I'll try this one but if I do I hope its not WoW with an Elder Scrolls skin : /
Score
August 24, 2013 10:02:40 PM

I have no problem with if if the initial $60 has as much content as skyrim, and each month they add 15 hours of storyline content (of at least the same quality as the main quest in skyrim (complete with voice acting and everything) each and every month they decide to charge $15 (meaning t least 180 hours added to the main story line (no sidequest crap) each year.

If they cant do that then sell the game for $60 and make the online play free and only charge for expansions.
Score
August 24, 2013 10:09:08 PM

All these guys commenting seem to think that keeping a game this big going in a persistent universe doesn't cost any money.
I've been playing MMO games a long time. Over 15 years. Every game that required a subscription to play was better managed than those which weren't. (Guild wars is the one exception)
I know there will be few people who read on after the above, but for those who do...
Fixing bugs, helping players with questions, reversing item deletions, creating new content, creating 'events' all require large teams of people to make it happen. Those teams of people need a monthly income. If that doesn't come from the players in the game they are supporting, doesn't that sound a bit screwy?
Yes, you need to pay for the games you like, because they are worth it.
Score
August 24, 2013 10:18:13 PM

While $15 per month isn't that much money, I do agree with those that think it's too much AFTER you just spent $60 for a game. I understand there is server upkeep as well as content upkeep but these companies have to realize that WoW is not the norm, it is an anomaly. How many other games tried to bring down WoW and failed? But for some reason these companies don't try one thing and that is try to undercut WoW! Why not charge $5, $8 or even $10 per month instead of $15? Right now would be the best time to try that knowing that WoW is losing players. I played WoW for a good 5 yrs before I got tired of it and moved on to other MMOs like Star Wars & Guild Wars 2 but I found out one thing, they are all like WoW but with a different Skin :(  That was disappointing because I got bored of them really fast :(  I don't know if I'll try this one but if I do I hope its not WoW with an Elder Scrolls skin : /
Score
August 24, 2013 10:27:10 PM

Thing is, they need to make that monthly down to 10$ or less for a yearly 12 month bundle purchase, so it is a significant savings. They also need to probably do something similar to what eve has as far as being able to buy your subcription through something in-game and offer some RL money translation/store transaction to take place, because most of the people they'll want are not 18 and do not have a credit or debit card, so it is way too easy for those customers/players to write off their game entirely. Unfortunately that is used as a cop-out excuse because we all know these same people use mom or dad's card for xbox live or buy a few videogames per year anyways. TBH they probably need to make the sub fee like 5-10$.

As far as quality goes, I HATE HATE HATE f2p games because the store's content is never balanced, and the arguement goes both ways. You either pay2win and people leave because it's unfair to those who don't pay or can't pay, or you put in things that won't break the game and be unfair to those who cant or wont pay, but then those who WILL pay won't see a reason to. Just get past the stigma of a monthly fee by making it as user friendly and multiple methods of payment to make it as easy as possible for those without CC to pay.
Score
August 24, 2013 10:36:19 PM

everquest next, is only mmo i can think of that is allowed ask for a sub, even blizzard titan will be f2 game
Score
August 24, 2013 11:03:06 PM

Quote:

So you paid a $1008 just to play the game. That's minus the original game cost and any expansions, just subscription fee. Doesn't seem like a fair deal to me.
Score
August 24, 2013 11:16:27 PM

if WOW is already losing player @ $14.99 what makes u think Elder Scrolls wont? SWTOR, Terra online, LOTRO, D&D online, Aion all went F2P. All these are great MMO titles fail on subscriptions.

I can say for Elder Scrolls Online ...good luck with that.
Score
August 24, 2013 11:21:20 PM

I think the subscription business model is vastly superior to the free to play pay to win model, but the subscription amounts they usually charge just seem too obscenely excessive to me. Also, the granularity needs to be significantly smaller than monthly.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
August 24, 2013 11:36:00 PM

$15 a little too high. I want to see Fallout 4 instead.
Score
August 24, 2013 11:47:47 PM

$15 a month hmm $180 a year, I don't know I believe in buying games to support the developers, but I do not intend to carry them.
This is the reason I never bought an Xbox because of Xbox Live. After a while it will probably be a pay to win.
Make a game and sell it ONCE...
Score
August 25, 2013 12:17:14 AM

Perhaps they should make it such that you aren't forced to pay the 15 dollars a month in order to keep playing, but in order to get access to any new content past the last month you paid (or the initial 60 dollars), you will have to shell out more. Kinda like buying Skyrim and paying 15 dollars for DLCs. I really don't like how you lose access if you don't continue paying after you paid 60 dollars for what should be a full length game which you own and can play whenever.
Score
August 25, 2013 12:39:42 AM

I think they know they will need to convert to free-to-play. They just think they will be able to quickly recover development costs. Well if I was to make predictions for fun ... 9 months subscription and then free-to-play.
Score
August 25, 2013 1:03:27 AM

I'm all for the subscription model but you better not charge for expansions AKA patch v2.0. The magazine I subscribe to doesn't charge me for new issues. If they sent me the same issue every month, I would cancel my subscription. It's up to them to deliver fresh content to keep me subscribing.

My friend was a bean counter at Sony and he said it cost them less than 50 cents/player/month to run the servers and provide customer support. So if they get enough subscribers, they can recoup their development costs and turn a tidy profit. The best way to do that is to offer the game as a free download and include a 15 day free trial.

But that's not going to happen. They're going to charge $60 for the game and scare off millions of potential subscribers. The game will be considered a failure and switch to a F2P model before finally dying.

These publishers treat MMOs like a single player game and they shouldn't. $60 price tags are for single player games. Expansions are for single player games. MMOs should rely entirely on subscriptions and subscriptions only to turn a profit.
Score
August 25, 2013 2:20:38 AM

From what I've seen so far Zenimax Online Studios has to convince me and many other players to justify that cost. For now it's Elder Scrolls Offline for me.
Score
August 25, 2013 2:41:20 AM

Why not apply a starter server for free to see if players like the game first? Then, allow the player the option of migrating the character to a pay server past some arbitrary level/scene during the game. Be it a demo, an introductory version of the game makes sense to tease, at least, than be a primarily pay to play game.
Score
August 25, 2013 3:01:16 AM

Tom's Hardware duplicate posts bug still here. >.<
Score
August 25, 2013 5:10:13 AM

If $15/month is even a noticable amount of money for you the last thing in the world you should be doing is sitting around playing video games.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
August 25, 2013 5:32:10 AM

F2P works fine for LotRO and it's certainly not p2w. Expansions cost less than a full single player game and smaller areas are < a trip to Starbucks.

Pass on ESO /sad
Score
August 25, 2013 6:03:54 AM

You f2p people boggle my mind. Every f2p game I played ruined the game that I used to love. You will SPEND way more than 15 bucks a month and if you don't your getting ripped off and bombarded with "You can get these for 15 "insert gold name" do you want to buy 100 "insert gold name" ??? It ruins the game and is WAY WAY WAY cheaper to pay 15 bucks a month. I looked back at my expenses and I am a person that doesn't buy but the minimum to play the game. I do in game stuff to earn their cash instead of buying it. EVEN doing this I spend way more than 15 bucks a month. Any game that is going to have a F2P model now I avoid. It simply ruins the game and my experience because the broke people playing it are not serious about it and typically ruin the fun for everyone else by saying immature crap in chat channels or ripping others off because its "fun" to troll and ruin everyones fun. Really great stuff you know.
Score
August 25, 2013 7:22:12 AM

No matter how good TES Online will be, it will never have characters that look as good as Tera.
Score
August 25, 2013 7:55:43 AM

At least they give 30-day free trial. And subscription MMO offers more balanced game, especially in PvP. I worked for a F2P MMO company and there are people paying almost $1,000/month on consumable items. It is crazy. Very disadvantageous for players that don't spend money.

Besides $15/month = 3 or 4 Starbuck coffee.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
August 25, 2013 7:56:55 AM

Although I particularly liked the comment about not wanting to be "monetized," I understand the arguments for a subscription fee. I just think it needs to be reasonable, i.e. low, such as $5/month. That's $60 per year, which is not unreasonable; it's the release price of a AAA title, and if the game is good, you'll keep playing it.
Another option would be to halt almost all advancement (e.g. in storyline and/or side quests) unless the subscription is paid; stop paying, and you can still play the game, if all you want to do is repeat parts you've already done, or explore, or things that don't require advancement (including leveling up).
Score
August 25, 2013 9:07:16 AM

Awesome! I'm a little surprised by all the negative reactions. I would much rather pay a set price to experience all the content rather than the awful f2p model where I have to constantly decide which things to buy. And $15 a month is not that much money, especially considering there are always bulk deals for buying a year at a time. If $15 a month for endless hours of entertainment is steep to you... try going to the movie theater. That's like $15 for a single ticket to a ~2 hours of entertainment. Double that if you want popcorn.
Score
August 25, 2013 9:10:37 AM

I dont get why people are complaining about an MMO at 15$ a month on which you will play countless hour and maybe a third of that money will go toward server maintenance and the rest will be profit but who cares dont they deserve it in the end ??
Score
August 25, 2013 11:04:52 AM

This game needs to fail so Bethesda gives up on pushing their games online. Single player only please.
Score
!