Computer turns on but power supply doesn't

frozbozz

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
Hi! Sorry this is kind of long, this is my first time posting here

Ok, so I have a strange problem. About a year ago my computer stopped turning on after I turned it off, it wouldn't crash but every time I turned it off and tried turning it on it would start for a few seconds as if booting then just power off. No beeps, no warning, most times it didn't even get to the boot screen even after a few moments of powering. It would just turn off! No big deal though it was an old computer so I figured it was just age plus if I went through an arduous process of turning it off from the power supply directly and turning it on again a couple times it would eventually start and stay running (for days at a time even). That was at my old apartment but the same thing kept happening when I moved back home.

Fast forward to today when I pick up all new parts for a brand new computer. The same thing is happening! I have:

Intel Core i5 3570K Unlocked Quad Core Processor LGA1155 3.4GHZ Ivy Bridge 6MB Retail
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 OC 980MHZ 2GB 6.0GHZ GDDR5
MSI Z77 Mpower ATX LGA1155 Z77 DDR3 3PCI-E16 4PCI-E1 SATA3 DVI HDMI VGA SLI USB3.0 Motherboard
Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750M 750W ATX Modular Power Supply Active PFC 120mm Fan 5 Year Warranty
8 GB kingston hyperX Blu DDR3 1600CL9
Corsair 600T full tower case
and a 1TB Western Digital green hard drive.
Any ideas? :S

sharpshooter_992

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

Just wondering, are you still using the same AC cable from the faulty computer/PSU. If you are then maybe that is the problem. Just putting it out there :D Sometime people overlook the small things and jump to the big right away. Let me know if it's not though.

frozbozz

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
Nope D: I'm using the new one that came with the PSU. I'm going to try switching the cable around though and see if it makes a difference

sharpshooter_992

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

Have you even turned your computer on at all? If you hasn't maybe try opening it up and messing with the PLED and the POWERSW cables. I forgot to do those on one of my builds and the computer wouldn't boot.

frozbozz

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
Of course, it boots but doesn't make it to the mobo screen before shutting off then starting up again. The fans on the power supply don't spin or light up so I can only assume the power supply isn't fully starting. Maybe a voltage problem?

sharpshooter_992

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

Yeah, try testing the PSU with a multimeter, if you are into that and are confident enough, and see what the readings come through as.

frozbozz

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
Hey guys just wanted to let you know I fixed the problem. I moved the RAM to the two slots away from the cpu. Not too sure why it made a difference but it worked. Thanks for your ssuggestionsthough!