Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Should I upgrade my CPU or GPU

Last response: in Components
Share
August 25, 2013 6:23:15 AM

I want to upgrade either my CPU or my GPU. I have a FX 6100 over locked to 4.7ghz. My GPU is an Evga Geforce gtx 660 superclocked. Monitor wise, I have two monitors, one 1680x1050, and the other 1600x900. Should I upgrade my CPU or GPU?

Full specs:
AMD FX 6100 4.7ghz
EVGA GTX 660 SC
Asrock 970 extreme4
Crucial ballistix sport 8gb @1866
Samsung 830 120gb ssd
Seagate barracuda 1tb hdd
NZXT Source 210 elite
Corsair cx500w psu

EDIT: I do some video editing, and game. Some games that I play are Minecraft, Crysis 3, Far Cry 3, and Deus Ex.

More about : upgrade cpu gpu

a b à CPUs
August 25, 2013 7:28:05 AM

If you want to upgrade, get another GTX 660 for SLI. Your CPU if fine when OCed that high. Hope this helps.
August 25, 2013 8:20:26 PM

kirilmatthew said:
If you want to upgrade, get another GTX 660 for SLI. Your CPU if fine when OCed that high. Hope this helps.

I don't really wanna sli, as l have to buy another power supply, and I have heard that scaling isn't too impressive...
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 26, 2013 1:53:07 AM

3ncrypt3d said:
kirilmatthew said:
If you want to upgrade, get another GTX 660 for SLI. Your CPU if fine when OCed that high. Hope this helps.

I don't really wanna sli, as l have to buy another power supply, and I have heard that scaling isn't too impressive...


If you purchase another 660($200) it will perform probably on par with a GTX 780($600). Yes, you will need a PSU, but if you add the cost of a PSU it will come nowhere near the cost of a better GPU. You really should consider it, it would give you by far the best performance for your dollar. SLI is very good and I have no trouble recommending it.
August 26, 2013 6:53:56 AM

kirilmatthew said:
3ncrypt3d said:
kirilmatthew said:
If you want to upgrade, get another GTX 660 for SLI. Your CPU if fine when OCed that high. Hope this helps.

I don't really wanna sli, as l have to buy another power supply, and I have heard that scaling isn't too impressive...


If you purchase another 660($200) it will perform probably on par with a GTX 780($600). Yes, you will need a PSU, but if you add the cost of a PSU it will come nowhere near the cost of a better GPU. You really should consider it, it would give you by far the best performance for your dollar. SLI is very good and I have no trouble recommending it.


I'm considering it, but one of my friends had a SLI setup way back, with 2 9800's, and the scaling was terrible. Granted, this was a while ago, and the drivers are sure to be better. Another option, is get a 770, and use my 660 for PhysX, as I do play some games that use it.
a b à CPUs
August 26, 2013 8:47:17 AM

That was awhile ago. SLI scales very well with the 6xx and 7xx cards.
August 26, 2013 8:53:21 AM

kirilmatthew said:
That was awhile ago. SLI scales very well with the 6xx and 7xx cards.


What about the 192bit bus on the 660? I do like AA and AF, and I think the 192bit bus will bottleneck a bit.
a b à CPUs
August 26, 2013 9:12:31 AM

3ncrypt3d said:
kirilmatthew said:
That was awhile ago. SLI scales very well with the 6xx and 7xx cards.


What about the 192bit bus on the 660? I do like AA and AF, and I think the 192bit bus will bottleneck a bit.


Check out these benchmarks: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_66...
As you can see, it has awesome scaling. I really wouldn't worry about SLI being a problem.
August 26, 2013 9:38:38 AM

kirilmatthew said:
3ncrypt3d said:
kirilmatthew said:
That was awhile ago. SLI scales very well with the 6xx and 7xx cards.


What about the 192bit bus on the 660? I do like AA and AF, and I think the 192bit bus will bottleneck a bit.


Check out these benchmarks: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_66...
As you can see, it has awesome scaling. I really wouldn't worry about SLI being a problem.


Is the scaling that good for every game though? Some games I've seen where SLI gets less FPS than one card... I'm thinking about the 770, as it has GPU boost 2.0, which I like a lot...

a b à CPUs
August 26, 2013 10:20:24 AM

3ncrypt3d said:
kirilmatthew said:
3ncrypt3d said:
kirilmatthew said:
That was awhile ago. SLI scales very well with the 6xx and 7xx cards.


What about the 192bit bus on the 660? I do like AA and AF, and I think the 192bit bus will bottleneck a bit.


Check out these benchmarks: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_66...
As you can see, it has awesome scaling. I really wouldn't worry about SLI being a problem.


Is the scaling that good for every game though? Some games I've seen where SLI gets less FPS than one card... I'm thinking about the 770, as it has GPU boost 2.0, which I like a lot...



SLI scales at least 70% in almost every game. What you are thinking about I'd AMD dual graphics with the APUs. That is the only place where that happens. The SLI will cost less and perform better then the 770. The 770 is just a higher clocked 680. The SLI will perform about as well as a 780.
August 26, 2013 11:27:25 AM

kirilmatthew said:
3ncrypt3d said:
kirilmatthew said:
3ncrypt3d said:
kirilmatthew said:
That was awhile ago. SLI scales very well with the 6xx and 7xx cards.


What about the 192bit bus on the 660? I do like AA and AF, and I think the 192bit bus will bottleneck a bit.


Check out these benchmarks: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_66...
As you can see, it has awesome scaling. I really wouldn't worry about SLI being a problem.


Is the scaling that good for every game though? Some games I've seen where SLI gets less FPS than one card... I'm thinking about the 770, as it has GPU boost 2.0, which I like a lot...



SLI scales at least 70% in almost every game. What you are thinking about I'd AMD dual graphics with the APUs. That is the only place where that happens. The SLI will cost less and perform better then the 770. The 770 is just a higher clocked 680. The SLI will perform about as well as a 780.


So SLI scaling is pretty good then? I think I'm going to SLI, and upgrade my psu to a 650w. Another, is the heat really bad with sli? My case has decent airflow, but not the best. My ambient temps are anywhere from 68F to 99F.

a b à CPUs
August 26, 2013 11:31:09 AM

3ncrypt3d said:
kirilmatthew said:
3ncrypt3d said:
kirilmatthew said:
3ncrypt3d said:
kirilmatthew said:
That was awhile ago. SLI scales very well with the 6xx and 7xx cards.


What about the 192bit bus on the 660? I do like AA and AF, and I think the 192bit bus will bottleneck a bit.


Check out these benchmarks: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_66...
As you can see, it has awesome scaling. I really wouldn't worry about SLI being a problem.


Is the scaling that good for every game though? Some games I've seen where SLI gets less FPS than one card... I'm thinking about the 770, as it has GPU boost 2.0, which I like a lot...



SLI scales at least 70% in almost every game. What you are thinking about I'd AMD dual graphics with the APUs. That is the only place where that happens. The SLI will cost less and perform better then the 770. The 770 is just a higher clocked 680. The SLI will perform about as well as a 780.


So SLI scaling is pretty good then? I think I'm going to SLI, and upgrade my psu to a 650w. Another, is the heat really bad with sli? My case has decent airflow, but not the best. My ambient temps are anywhere from 68F to 99F.



Yeah, that's what I think too. Heat and noise will be worse then a single card but not significantly. In other words if all else is equal a single card is better, but its not something to be concerned about except with very high powered cards like the titan or 780 or a 3 way SLI.
August 26, 2013 11:33:44 AM

kirilmatthew said:
3ncrypt3d said:
kirilmatthew said:
3ncrypt3d said:
kirilmatthew said:
3ncrypt3d said:
kirilmatthew said:
That was awhile ago. SLI scales very well with the 6xx and 7xx cards.


What about the 192bit bus on the 660? I do like AA and AF, and I think the 192bit bus will bottleneck a bit.


Check out these benchmarks: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_66...
As you can see, it has awesome scaling. I really wouldn't worry about SLI being a problem.


Is the scaling that good for every game though? Some games I've seen where SLI gets less FPS than one card... I'm thinking about the 770, as it has GPU boost 2.0, which I like a lot...



SLI scales at least 70% in almost every game. What you are thinking about I'd AMD dual graphics with the APUs. That is the only place where that happens. The SLI will cost less and perform better then the 770. The 770 is just a higher clocked 680. The SLI will perform about as well as a 780.


So SLI scaling is pretty good then? I think I'm going to SLI, and upgrade my psu to a 650w. Another, is the heat really bad with sli? My case has decent airflow, but not the best. My ambient temps are anywhere from 68F to 99F.



Yeah, that's what I think too. Heat and noise will be worse then a single card but not significantly. In other words if all else is equal a single card is better, but its not something to be concerned about except with very high powered cards like the titan or 780 or a 3 way SLI.


Ok thanks! I'll be getting another 660 soon :D 
a b à CPUs
August 26, 2013 11:35:25 AM

Okay awesome, best of luck to you! Btw remember to get a good brand of PSU: Corsair, XFX, seasonic or antec are brands I recommend.
!