Building a NAS Media Server

Which one is the best for my situation, or in general, which is good.

• FreeNAS

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • unRAID

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Windows Server 2012

• NAS4FREE

• FlexRAID

• Windows 8/ Windows 7

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

azulon

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Alright guys, lets say i build a cheap pc and put my 3 (3TB drives (2xseagate 7200rpm)(1wd red drive)).

Does the speed of the components matter for unRaid, FreeNAS, Windows Server?

Secondly, I want to use it for something specific, basically i need something that can handle being a media center. I need to store tons of files which need to be shared through windows media center to media center extenders, accesed by laptops and tablet apps. Furthermore, I will be putting a TV Tuner into my main computer, streaming out to other media center extenders (xbox 360).
Not only that, but this media server will have to act as a place where all the shows i record from my TV Tuner need to be saved on to this NAS.

Which is better for this? unRAID, FreeNAS, Windows Server. I would also like to ask whats wrong with just using windows 8 (storage spaces as a media server). Furthermore, is it possible the tuner could work from inside this NAS, so that i only have to have one computer on 24/7?

Thirdly, I want do RAID 5, or what is also called parity storage i believe. I want the data security of RAID 5. Lets say i start a Raid 5 with 3 drives right now. Later on i buy one more, is it possible for me to add one more drive and make my RAID 5 (4 drives), without loosing whats stored on the other 3 drives? Because Windows Storage Spaces apparently has a restriction for parity, where if you have 3 drives in parity, you have to add 3 more to preserve the parity, is unRAID or FreeNAS capable of doing it where you can just add one more drive and the raid 4 will be preserved?

Thanks for your help. also if you have any cheap hardware raid suggestions, i appreciate it. just remember I don't have a lot of money, so i need to be a bit careful.

I know its Long, but thank you for reading, and if you take time to answer, I thank you even more

I will have a poll, of FreeNAS, unRaid, Windows Server, FlexRAID, NAS4FREE. Let me know which one is the best for my situation or in general, and let me know the reasons why you voted for a particular service.