Monitor for custom desk

H0wtzer

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013
Hello,

This year I will be going into my last year of carpenting school called wood technics. I have to make some kind of furniture as end-project, I decided to make a multifuntional gaming desk.

My drawings on Autocad are almost finished but I want to have some special touch on it and decided to use a mechanism that could remove the monitor out of sight, in 1 or 2 steps.

So I came up to make a platform that could hold a monitor and with pumps it would lower the whole platform underneath the tablet. It looked really amazing on drawings etc. But the only pumps that could make this happen are pretty expensive,so I had to change my plans..

I figured out I could use some kind of hinges that could rotate the monitor up (mounted on some plywood), or push the monitor up and then rotate it up.

It ended up looking like this ( pieces of plywood that aren't colored and the piece that is in half are for illustration purposes later on).

bureau99_zpsc8403233.jpeg
[/URL][/img]

Now, currently I am using my tv as monitor, but this would not fit and isn't really great for gaming..

these are the measurements of the monitor I can use. I can use 1 or 2 monitors because of the width. (my amazing editing skills btw)

bureau111_zps58c710fe.jpeg
[/URL][/img]

I could make the mechanism in 2 ways.

1) pull the monitor up and the pivot it.
2) pivot it immediatly,but then it is hanging quite a bit higher.

bureau77_zps20e8d3d1.jpeg
[/URL][/img]

bureau88_zps79ef584c.jpeg
[/URL][/img]

I have no idea where I have to start searching for a monitor(s) that I could use in this project. It has to be mounted on plywood and has to be in the price range of 100-220 euro. I would greatly appreciate your help.

Thank you in advance, Jeremy
(Sorry for my bad English)

Solution
you dont need a pump to raise the monitor.

you could accomplish the same feat with a lever-jack style lifting device, some allthread with a gear and hand crank or rails and a spring (or even air/liquid piston) assist with a catch to lock the monitor in the down position.

looking at your design the monitor is not even in the way so i dont see why you would want to even swing the monitor up. keep in mind that to do so would require special length cables perhaps to allow for slack.

another alternative would be to mount the monitor on plywood and just hinge the monitor straight up with a locking clasp once it gets to the top. a monitor is not heavy and you could do this easily by hand. if you wanted an assist you could place the pivot...
you dont need a pump to raise the monitor.

you could accomplish the same feat with a lever-jack style lifting device, some allthread with a gear and hand crank or rails and a spring (or even air/liquid piston) assist with a catch to lock the monitor in the down position.

looking at your design the monitor is not even in the way so i dont see why you would want to even swing the monitor up. keep in mind that to do so would require special length cables perhaps to allow for slack.

another alternative would be to mount the monitor on plywood and just hinge the monitor straight up with a locking clasp once it gets to the top. a monitor is not heavy and you could do this easily by hand. if you wanted an assist you could place the pivot point somewhat down from the top and put some weights to counterbalance the monitor somewhat.

as far as a monitor... a television can work perfectly fine for gaming. i use one myself. for 220eu you can afford either a tn, va or just maybe an e-ips monitor. the most important thing to consider though is that the monitor must support vesa mount. this means that the back panel will have screw holes in a certain panel which you can mount to something.

Solution