PC/Console cross-platform multiplayer?

ewillisva

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013
After I read someone's question on whether to switch to a playstation platform because of its popularity in multiplayer, I recalled this seemingly ancient question: why hasn't any company (speaking of those like Rockstar, Valve, Bethesda, Ubisoft, etc) made the multiplayer/co-op portions of their games work across platforms? They all connect to the same internet, no? I realize PC has an advantage because of the mouse and keyboard, but how much of an advantage really? Couldn't there be dedicated servers to host cross-platform gaming which can have the map content compatible with each PC, PS4 and Xbox? Aside from the technical complications, are there any other reasons this hasn't been developed?

swilczak

Distinguished
That could be something that will happen in the future since the ps4 will use a x86 processor and I've heard that it will use directx. I think the fact that the processors are so much different right now and the fact that the operating systems are completely different, it makes this hard to do. I'm pretty sure I can use my games for windows live account to play online with people on the xbox 360. It's the same account and I have had game invites from people on xbox live, but I have never actually tried to play to confirm because I didn't have the game I was invited to.

ewillisva

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013
So, theoretically, Xbox live players can play online with PC players for some games. Do you recall which games you received the invite for?

TRENDING THREADS