Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Verizon Edge Needs "Max" Plan For Unlimited Data Users

Last response: in News comments
Share
August 25, 2013 6:30:03 PM

It's not shabby, but it is not unlimited.
Score
4
August 25, 2013 6:34:51 PM

Nope, not getting rid of my 4G unlimited plan, I will just buy my own phone and replace the one I have while keeping my plan. I still pay $30 for unlimited data and plan on keeping it until they pry it from my cold dead hands.
Score
12
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 25, 2013 7:13:18 PM

I thought Verizon was banned from adding a fee for tethering?
Score
1
August 25, 2013 7:18:09 PM

If you want to keep your unlimited data plan from Verizon and take advantage of subsidized phones, aka upgrade, there is a simple solution.

First open up a new line on a different contract, and use that account to purchase the new phone of your choosing at the reduced rate. Then simply transfer the new phone onto your old number. Then purchase or bring in an old non data type phone to put on the new line. Get the cheapest plan available for the new line, which is around $10-$15 per month.

You will be paying slightly more per month, but you will be able to keep your unlimited data, and you will even have an emergency phone available. The amount you would pay for the life of the contract will be around $300. Compare that to the roughly $500 you save from Verizon subsidies on a phone like a Galaxy S4, and this idea makes far more sense.
Score
3
August 25, 2013 7:21:26 PM

frj1371 said:
I thought Verizon was banned from adding a fee for tethering?


Only a retard would pay for tethering.

I am including all iphone users as retards.
Score
1
August 25, 2013 7:54:21 PM

Grandmastersexsay said:
frj1371 said:
I thought Verizon was banned from adding a fee for tethering?


Only a retard would pay for tethering.

I am including all iphone users as retards.

Guess I'm a retard then.

And they weren't banned for adding a fee for tethering, they were banned from blocking apps that allow tethering. As a result, instead of charging a fee for tethering, they created new tiers of data service that happen to include tethering under the assumption that people who tether would use slightly more data. Which is pretty much spot on for me. Prior to tethering I used 1.75gb/month. Now I use around 3.25gb a month, which is more than their 2gb plan, but just the right amount for their 4gb + tethering plan.

It is almost like Verizon studied their customer's usage habits or something. ;) 
Score
1
August 25, 2013 8:14:24 PM

3.25 gb?! Lol.... thats nothing. Try a minimum of 17gb a month. I would NEVER get this plan. They are trying to make us bite for some crap plan which I guarantee will continuously get smaller and smaller and smaller. Screw that. Keep a second line with a basic voice only plan, upgrade on that one, and switch the device. K, Thanks, Bye.
Score
4
August 25, 2013 8:47:56 PM

Ragnar-Kon said:
Grandmastersexsay said:
frj1371 said:
I thought Verizon was banned from adding a fee for tethering?


Only a retard would pay for tethering.

I am including all iphone users as retards.

Guess I'm a retard then.

And they weren't banned for adding a fee for tethering, they were banned from blocking apps that allow tethering. As a result, instead of charging a fee for tethering, they created new tiers of data service that happen to include tethering under the assumption that people who tether would use slightly more data. Which is pretty much spot on for me. Prior to tethering I used 1.75gb/month. Now I use around 3.25gb a month, which is more than their 2gb plan, but just the right amount for their 4gb + tethering plan.

It is almost like Verizon studied their customer's usage habits or something. ;) 


Why pay for tethering? It's easy enough to fix the phone so you don't need to. Or is Verizon only offering it's highest size package with tethering? They're so far out of touch I don't even look at what they offer unless it's in a piece like this. These articles of course give me a laugh and a shudder that a company this vile is so popular.
Score
0
a b I Smartphone
August 25, 2013 8:53:31 PM

Can someone explain how they prevent you from tethering your phone? Is it simply that there's software on Verizon-supplied phones that prevents it?

Because that sounds like a bloody good argument for an unlocked phone to me.
Score
0
August 25, 2013 8:53:38 PM

Verizon and AT&T are such rip offs. However, here's the beautiful thing, Straighttalk wireless, you can get a phone on AT&T's network, with unlimited talk, text, and data for $45 a month. You can even buy unlocked smartphones and put them on Straighttalk with a SIM card.
Score
2
August 25, 2013 9:58:38 PM

It's a trap!
Score
4
August 25, 2013 10:07:44 PM

frj1371 said:
I thought Verizon was banned from adding a fee for tethering?


They were banned from adding a fee to tethering for people on an capped plan. However, the courts said they could continue to charge a tethering fee for those on an unlimited plan.


http://www.zdnet.com/verizon-no-free-tethering-for-unli...
Score
0
August 25, 2013 10:22:18 PM

Grandmastersexsay said:
If you want to keep your unlimited data plan from Verizon and take advantage of subsidized phones, aka upgrade, there is a simple solution.

First open up a new line on a different contract, and use that account to purchase the new phone of your choosing at the reduced rate. Then simply transfer the new phone onto your old number. Then purchase or bring in an old non data type phone to put on the new line. Get the cheapest plan available for the new line, which is around $10-$15 per month.

You will be paying slightly more per month, but you will be able to keep your unlimited data, and you will even have an emergency phone available. The amount you would pay for the life of the contract will be around $300. Compare that to the roughly $500 you save from Verizon subsidies on a phone like a Galaxy S4, and this idea makes far more sense.


Do you utilize this method? Could you explain in a bit more detail?
They do not let you purchase a smart phone on a non-data plan, or at least do not give me that option.
Score
1
August 26, 2013 1:00:51 AM

Someone Somewhere said:
Can someone explain how they prevent you from tethering your phone? Is it simply that there's software on Verizon-supplied phones that prevents it?

Because that sounds like a bloody good argument for an unlocked phone to me.


I'm not sure how they do it but I do know I was able to circumvent it on the Cricket network by using https for all the sites I visited. Else, I'm redirected to their page offering to add tethering for $10/mo.
Score
0
August 26, 2013 1:16:37 AM

And yet people who reduced to 2GB for $30 a month don't get a special offer. Thanks verizon.
Score
0
August 26, 2013 5:34:47 AM

NotYetRated said:
Grandmastersexsay said:
If you want to keep your unlimited data plan from Verizon and take advantage of subsidized phones, aka upgrade, there is a simple solution.

First open up a new line on a different contract, and use that account to purchase the new phone of your choosing at the reduced rate. Then simply transfer the new phone onto your old number. Then purchase or bring in an old non data type phone to put on the new line. Get the cheapest plan available for the new line, which is around $10-$15 per month.

You will be paying slightly more per month, but you will be able to keep your unlimited data, and you will even have an emergency phone available. The amount you would pay for the life of the contract will be around $300. Compare that to the roughly $500 you save from Verizon subsidies on a phone like a Galaxy S4, and this idea makes far more sense.


Do you utilize this method? Could you explain in a bit more detail?
They do not let you purchase a smart phone on a non-data plan, or at least do not give me that option.


Basically you are signing another 2-year contract with a new number, what he did tell you is that if you currently only have one phone you will have to change you plan to a family plan to do what he is talking about. which is a increase of more like $30 per month.

If you already have a family plans then its only $10 more a month to do what he is saying. You are basicaly just doing a getting lets say an GS
Score
0
August 26, 2013 6:14:47 AM

Someone Somewhere said:
Can someone explain how they prevent you from tethering your phone? Is it simply that there's software on Verizon-supplied phones that prevents it?

Because that sounds like a bloody good argument for an unlocked phone to me.


Packet inspection covers it. If you take a look at the protocols and/or websites being used it'll be sort of obvious when someone is tethering. Makes me love my Tmobile even more, even without the unlocked phone I would get free tethering.
Score
0
a b I Smartphone
August 26, 2013 6:20:16 AM

What, so they send you a letter saying 'We think you're using your data on your laptop/tablet. Here's a fine.'? There's a lot of scope in there for dispute.

Still, https for the win.
Score
0
August 26, 2013 6:42:13 AM

Grandmastersexsay said:
If you want to keep your unlimited data plan from Verizon and take advantage of subsidized phones, aka upgrade, there is a simple solution.

First open up a new line on a different contract, and use that account to purchase the new phone of your choosing at the reduced rate. Then simply transfer the new phone onto your old number. Then purchase or bring in an old non data type phone to put on the new line. Get the cheapest plan available for the new line, which is around $10-$15 per month.

You will be paying slightly more per month, but you will be able to keep your unlimited data, and you will even have an emergency phone available. The amount you would pay for the life of the contract will be around $300. Compare that to the roughly $500 you save from Verizon subsidies on a phone like a Galaxy S4, and this idea makes far more sense.

Have you actually tried this? Does this actually work? Verizon isn't smart enough to enforce smartphone plans on an account that was given a subsidized smartphone? AT&T used to enforce smartphone plans on an account that was opened with (or otherwise got) a subsidized smartphone; you had to carry the smartphone plans on that account for the duration of the 2 year contract regardless of where your subsidized phone went. So it would end up costing more like $2000 for 2 years.
Score
0
August 26, 2013 6:42:51 AM

Grandmastersexsay said:
If you want to keep your unlimited data plan from Verizon and take advantage of subsidized phones, aka upgrade, there is a simple solution.

First open up a new line on a different contract, and use that account to purchase the new phone of your choosing at the reduced rate. Then simply transfer the new phone onto your old number. Then purchase or bring in an old non data type phone to put on the new line. Get the cheapest plan available for the new line, which is around $10-$15 per month.

You will be paying slightly more per month, but you will be able to keep your unlimited data, and you will even have an emergency phone available. The amount you would pay for the life of the contract will be around $300. Compare that to the roughly $500 you save from Verizon subsidies on a phone like a Galaxy S4, and this idea makes far more sense.

Have you actually tried this? Does this actually work? Verizon isn't smart enough to enforce smartphone plans on an account that was given a subsidized smartphone? AT&T used to enforce smartphone plans on an account that was opened with (or otherwise got) a subsidized smartphone; you had to carry the smartphone plans on that account for the duration of the 2 year contract regardless of where your subsidized phone went. So it would end up costing more like $2000 for 2 years.
Score
0
August 26, 2013 7:03:19 AM

ddpruitt said:
Someone Somewhere said:
Can someone explain how they prevent you from tethering your phone? Is it simply that there's software on Verizon-supplied phones that prevents it?

Because that sounds like a bloody good argument for an unlocked phone to me.


Packet inspection covers it. If you take a look at the protocols and/or websites being used it'll be sort of obvious when someone is tethering. Makes me love my Tmobile even more, even without the unlocked phone I would get free tethering.

I don't think they do that, at least not for every phone. With my Bionic all that is needed is an SQL DB editor and about 20 seconds to enable tethering and Hotspot without paying. I use it all the time when I go out of time and don't feel like paying the hotel for WiFi access or going to McDonald's for free WiFi :p 
Score
0
August 26, 2013 8:27:07 AM

Camikazi said:

I don't think they do that, at least not for every phone. With my Bionic all that is needed is an SQL DB editor and about 20 seconds to enable tethering and Hotspot without paying. I use it all the time when I go out of time and don't feel like paying the hotel for WiFi access or going to McDonald's for free WiFi :p 


I used to use FoxFi to do the same (too lazy to edit the DB) but between the delayed updates, locked phones, and general Verizon shenanigans I just got tired of dealing with them. I see this as a turning point for Verizon, either they understand they operate at the whim of there customer's or they start going downhill.
Score
0
August 26, 2013 10:08:57 AM

teh_chem said:
Grandmastersexsay said:
If you want to keep your unlimited data plan from Verizon and take advantage of subsidized phones, aka upgrade, there is a simple solution.

First open up a new line on a different contract, and use that account to purchase the new phone of your choosing at the reduced rate. Then simply transfer the new phone onto your old number. Then purchase or bring in an old non data type phone to put on the new line. Get the cheapest plan available for the new line, which is around $10-$15 per month.

You will be paying slightly more per month, but you will be able to keep your unlimited data, and you will even have an emergency phone available. The amount you would pay for the life of the contract will be around $300. Compare that to the roughly $500 you save from Verizon subsidies on a phone like a Galaxy S4, and this idea makes far more sense.

Have you actually tried this? Does this actually work? Verizon isn't smart enough to enforce smartphone plans on an account that was given a subsidized smartphone? AT&T used to enforce smartphone plans on an account that was opened with (or otherwise got) a subsidized smartphone; you had to carry the smartphone plans on that account for the duration of the 2 year contract regardless of where your subsidized phone went. So it would end up costing more like $2000 for 2 years.


My side job i work at Best Buy Mobile, people do this all the time, they dont enforce you to carry a data plan if the phone on the line is not a smartphone.
Score
0
August 27, 2013 6:16:11 AM

brazuka331 said:
teh_chem said:
Grandmastersexsay said:
If you want to keep your unlimited data plan from Verizon and take advantage of subsidized phones, aka upgrade, there is a simple solution.

First open up a new line on a different contract, and use that account to purchase the new phone of your choosing at the reduced rate. Then simply transfer the new phone onto your old number. Then purchase or bring in an old non data type phone to put on the new line. Get the cheapest plan available for the new line, which is around $10-$15 per month.

You will be paying slightly more per month, but you will be able to keep your unlimited data, and you will even have an emergency phone available. The amount you would pay for the life of the contract will be around $300. Compare that to the roughly $500 you save from Verizon subsidies on a phone like a Galaxy S4, and this idea makes far more sense.

Have you actually tried this? Does this actually work? Verizon isn't smart enough to enforce smartphone plans on an account that was given a subsidized smartphone? AT&T used to enforce smartphone plans on an account that was opened with (or otherwise got) a subsidized smartphone; you had to carry the smartphone plans on that account for the duration of the 2 year contract regardless of where your subsidized phone went. So it would end up costing more like $2000 for 2 years.


My side job i work at Best Buy Mobile, people do this all the time, they dont enforce you to carry a data plan if the phone on the line is not a smartphone.

I must have been unlucky; AT&T didn't give a hoot if I had moved to using a dumbphone after opening an account with a smartphone within the 2 years; they required the account to carry the smartphone's plan for the duration of the 2 years. Maybe Verizon is less lax about this.
Score
0
August 27, 2013 8:57:48 AM

It's beyond me why people keep giving money to Verizon after they f---ed their loyal customers who had unlimited data plans for years and years, not to mention the NSA debacle. Grow some balls, vote with your wallet, and cancel your Verizon accounts. This company doesn't deserve to exist.
Score
0
October 4, 2013 6:00:46 AM

Could the veterans answer this for a novice?

I have a Verizon MiFi 4GLTE hot spot, and also an unlimited data plan on phone from when I signed up in April 2011 with an HTC Incredible (the phone has just croaked). The grandfathered plan I'm under is 1400 voice minutes (which is plenty), pay per text, and unlimited data. I pay $70 for the phone, $30 for data, and $50 for a 5GB MiFi plan ($80 for 10GB is an available option, otherwise $10/GB for overages).

I need a new phone badly, and am stuck with Verizon due to living in a rural area with no broadband and no other good carriers. Reading online has spurred questions.

I'm considering just purchasing an S3 from a private party for $200, to avoid signing a new contract. If I do this, can I tether the S3 using my unlimited data and discontinue my $50 MiFi hotspot?

If I can do this, will Verizon throttle the data speed on the phone, versus the MiFi?

Can I use a 3rd party tethering technique, or do I have to pay Verizon a monthly tethering fee? If so, is this $20 currently, on top of the $30 for data? Obviously, that would still be less than $50 for the MiFi (and unlimited to boot).

Given what I stated about my current plan and need for a new phone (Galaxy S3 would be sufficient), do you have any other recommendations for me in dealing with Verizon?

Much appreciated.
Score
0
October 4, 2013 9:02:17 AM

Could the veterans answer this for a novice?

I have a Verizon MiFi 4GLTE hot spot, and also an unlimited data plan on phone from when I signed up in April 2011 with an HTC Incredible (the phone has just croaked). The grandfathered plan I'm under is 1400 voice minutes (which is plenty), pay per text, and unlimited data. I pay $70 for the phone, $30 for data, and $50 for a 5GB MiFi plan ($80 for 10GB is an available option, otherwise $10/GB for overages).

I need a new phone badly, and am stuck with Verizon due to living in a rural area with no broadband and no other good carriers. Reading online has spurred questions.

I'm considering just purchasing an S3 from a private party for $200, to avoid signing a new contract. If I do this, can I tether the S3 using my unlimited data and discontinue my $50 MiFi hotspot?

If I can do this, will Verizon throttle the data speed on the phone, versus the MiFi?

Can I use a 3rd party tethering technique, or do I have to pay Verizon a monthly tethering fee? If so, is this $20 currently, on top of the $30 for data? Obviously, that would still be less than $50 for the MiFi (and unlimited to boot).

Given what I stated about my current plan and need for a new phone (Galaxy S3 would be sufficient), do you have any other recommendations for me in dealing with Verizon?

Much appreciated.
Score
0
!