SSD w/ HDD Configuration

mgx42

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
I just installed a new SSD (120GB Samsung 840) as my boot drive (Windows 7 Home Premium). I also have a 500GB 7200RPM mechanical HDD as a storage drive.

So far for the SSD I have enabled trim, turned off system restore, disabled hibernation, and disabled superfetch.

I have three questions.

1. How should I set up the page file? For my SSD it is set to "system managed", and for my HDD it is set to "none". Is this ok, or should it be tweaked? I have 8GB of RAM.

2. I noticed that my SSD is inconsistent with how much memory it shows is left on the drive. For example, last night it was 74.1GB left, and tonight after playing a game or two and internet browsing, it sunk to 73.7. I used CCleaner to clear up some temp files but it didn't bring it back up. Sometimes it will randomly increase by .1 to .4 GB as well. Is there something i'm missing here? Is it normal for the memory to fluctuate like that?

3. Should my browser be installed on the SSD or the HDD? Any recommendations on other common applications as to which drive they should be installed to?

Thanks in advance for all of your help guys.

mgx42

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012

Is it possible to redirect the cookies to my HDD with google chrome?