Furious after my 1500$ PC won't run games properly

Eugene Chung

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
Before you go like you were scammed. I do not live in America so I have higher prices anyways. Alright, not that I built this computer for pure gaming I still got a really nice graphics card and a AMD card which was apparently for multitasking. Anyways when I run Battlefield 3, Saints Rows the Third, Metro 2033, Planetside 2, Minecraft or Mafia 2. It runs between 80 - 300 frames however every few seconds the frames drop to 15. I couldn't find any CPU drivers but my GPU drivers are updated. My full specs are:

Disk Drivers -
Samsung SSD 128gb 840 PRO
WD BLUE 1 TB (Games are installed here)
Graphics Card -
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
Processors -
AMD FX 8350 Eight Core Processor
Memory -
Samsung 4GB DDR3 RAM x2 (Sorry I didn't specify earlier)
CPU Fan -
Coolermaster Hyper 103
Motherboard -
ASRock 970 Pro3 R2
Power-
Powerex III 600W

My temperatures fluctuate however:
GPU:
Idle: 40 Celsius
Ingame: 60 - 80 Celsius
CPU:
Idle: 30 - 50 Celsius
Ingame: 50 - 75 Celsius (Never passes 70 but gets that high)

Also my ASRock has these weird silent cool setting thingy but I don't wanna touch it until I get some info. (For the record it's already on)

Can I have a solution?

I personally think it's my CPU but I detached it once and I redid the thermal grease with the one from Zalman and reattached it.

MajinCry

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Try undervolting your CPU, if you haven't overclocked it. Should reduce the temperatures to 65C or so.

In your BIOS, disable Cool N Quiet.

Try de-fragging your hard drive.

Also, AMD graphics cards are as valid for gaming as NVidia. You must have gotten the CPU and GPU mixed up; AMD CPUs are the king when it comes to multitasking without breaking the bank, but lag behind intel in terms of single thread performance (10% or so when comparing processors at similar price points).

MEC-777

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013
The first thing that stuck out as a potential bottle neck for this system (and makes sense according to the problem you described) is the 4GB of RAM. When your system runs out of memory, the frame-rates will drop almost completely, hence the frequent dips to 15fps. ;)

Go with at least 8GB of DUAL CHANNEL (2x 4GB kit) 1866mHz RAM. The 8350 supports the 1866 speed RAM, so use that type for the best performance.

Your temps also look a little high, so you may want to consider adding some fans to your case for better air flow. I don't know what case you have, but if you can, try adding 1 or 2 fans pulling fresh air in from the front and 1 or 2 more exhausting air out the back. Also, make sure your PC is situated where there is clean air available.

guggi4

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
you cpu temps are a way too high! max temp for the fx series is 61°C, it may throttle to not fry it during the gaming. Maybe thats the reason for your drops

CooLWoLF

Distinguished

No, just no. His 8350 is perfectly suited for any modern games. This is horrible misinformation and is just going to scare him.

OP, your issue is either A) thermal throttling from to high cpu temps or B) software/driver issues in the background. Its very likely option A, in fact I am sure of it. Fix that and you will be good to go.

CooLWoLF

Distinguished
OP is not asking for a discussion on intel vs amd benchmarks. That isn't the issue or the solution. The fact that your derailing his thread is ridiculous, unnecessary, and annoying.

MEC-777

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013

This is not a thread about Intel vs AMD. The 8350 is more than enough for what the OP is running.

Let's stick to solving the OP's issues. If it's not the ram, then I agree with the others, it must be throttling back either the GPU and/or CPU due to the high temps.

Operating properly, the 8350 should work great with this setup.

Eugene, what case do you have?

cmi86

Distinguished

Dude Hajifur seriously how many times do I have to tell you to cut the BS ??. Every single thread where someone is having Issues and has an AMD CPU there you are without fail to spout some completely invalid numbers and "facts" Intels are 2X as fast as AMD chips ?? Than please riddle me why the 83XX and 35XX are within a few FPS of each other on basically every gaming benchmark ?? Sure you can dig up a handful of benchmarks that will show otherwise (just to desperately try and prove your lame point with intel optimized or just horrendously coded junk titles) But the fact of the matter is that in 95% of games the difference is so close that you would never tell the difference anyhow. Before I tabbed out to play on toms for a bit I was running BF3 MP/Ultra @ 1080, streaming music, recording via fraps and have a browser open with a good 15-25 tabs and RARELY drop below 60 FPS even when the s**t totally hits the fan. Stop making it out to seem that AMD chips are not capable of gaming when the truth is otherwise. We are here on this forum to logically and honestly make suggestions and help diagnose situations for people. If you are not capable of that maybe you should just get out of here and stick to youtube for your fanboy battles. This is the last time I wil tell you next time I am going to a mod.

cmi86

Distinguished
I would like to make the suggestion of VRM throttling. The ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 is somewhat of a low end board and in addition to using poor quality VRM's they are also lacking any type of heatsink for cooling. My guess would be is that the VRM's are not capable of keeping cool with the big 8350 under load for continuous amounts of time. One of the biggest indicators to me is his quite high CPU temp which in my experiences with PD on 4+1 970 boards is usually due to VRM bleeding heat into the socket. OP try placing a fan over the VRM bank (behind your CPU socket and below the power connector) and see if this resolves your issue.

cmi86

Distinguished

There were so many indicators of thermal throttling in the OP's post but instead of looking further in to that you just jumped straight to saying AMD cant game. Put your preferences aside and help the OP regardless of what they use.

8350rocks

Distinguished

+1

Eugene Chung

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
Thanks for the help. I would appreciate if you guys wouldn't derail though. I redid my thermal paste but that didn't help, If I were to get a new mother board what will I get? (Cheaper the better please.) Also what is this thermal throttling? I'm not a expert so you're gonna need to help me on that.

Also my case is a ABKO Ncore VIPER
http://gdimg1.gmarket.co.kr/goods_image2/middle_jpgimg/336/932/336932850.jpg
It's really cheap so I bought it. (40$)
(I am also willing to change my case)

dsr07mm

Distinguished
Try to run CPUID CPU-Z in background, run game in window mode and keep watching "core speed". If fps drops when core speed drops aswel then it's cpu throttling. I had exact problem, thermal paste - updating bios didnt helped so I ordered better motherboard. Not that I'm experianced too much but when someone have same problem as I did I really want to help.

Yes, there is no need for the thread to devolve into an AMD vs Intel flame war.

Thermal Throttling is when your chip kills its own performance to save itself from overheating (from the top of my head, in AMD chips it starts at ~67°C). Basically there are two ways to get around this, lower any overclock your running or slap on a bigger cooler.

MEC-777

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013

That case looks fine for air flow. How many fans do you have?

My suggestion would be to have the biggest fan that will fit pulling air in at the front and have the same on the back blowing out, as well as two on the top blowing out. If you already have some fans, check the direction they're installed and make sure they're pushing/pulling air in this way (in front, out the back/top).

You may want to also check your CPU cooler and make sure it's not trying to blow air "against the flow". Fans fighting against each other = stagnant air = higher in-case temps.

What's the ambient temp in the room where your PC is located?

8350rocks

Distinguished

62C is MAX for FX series CPUs.

@EugeneChung:

What was the cooler you were using? A Cooler Master 103? I am not sure that's a heavy duty enough cooler for the CPU you're running. You might try getting the 212 EVO from Cooler Master...it's only about $30 and will likely be quite effective in place of your 103.

MEC-777

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013

The 103 looks beefy enough. I know looks doesn't necessarily = performance, however something as simple as swapping the fan on the 103 with a noctua or similar and making sure it's situated to push/pull in unison with the rest of the case fans, may be all that's required for proper cooling.

Would hate to buy a new motherboard only to find out the issue was due to pour airflow... lol

One benefit to the hyper 212 plus/evo cooler is the ability to add a second fan on the other side to create a push/pull effect. That would definitely help, so long as the rest of the flow in the case is adequate.

cmi86

Distinguished

My apologies that Hafijur character is quite the notorious intel troll and he has quite a habit of targeting AMD threads and spreading misinformation to users such as yourself based solely on his brand preference, As I said above look into your VRM's, I bet they are the root cause for your CPU throttling.

Eugene Chung

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
Hmmm...

I need to sleep so I'll get it done tomorrow. I appreciate you guys constantly replying. Also my Cooler master Hyper 103's fan is blowing towards the case's fan. Maybe that's an issue? Also how can I check the VRM? I use HW monitor to check my temps ^_^

Also If I were to get a better fan what would be reccomended?