FX-4170 Cooler upgrade, any suggestions?

olie777

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Hello forum,
My old 4170 is in need of a replacement cooler, the noise of the stock fan is just too noisy for my liking and as I have upgraded my GPU to a quieter model it would make sense to make my CPU quieter as well as it is making the most noise at the moment.

wtwy2f.jpg
Whilst investigating why my CPU might be making so much noise, I removed the cooler from the unit to see the what I thought was very small amount of thermal paste. Maybe this is the reason it's making so much noise?

Any suggestions as to what aftermarket cooler I should buy would be greatly appreciated, my motherboard is a GIGABYTE 78LMT-USB3 and supports AM3 but looking at the space between the processor and the RAM, I might have some limitations as to what aftermarket coolers I'll be able to buy.

I am willing to pay up to £40 on a new cooler, maybe £5+- depending on how much of a difference it makes :)

Thanks, Oliver

olie777

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012

Thanks, I've looked at some reviews and the Cooler Master 421S looks like a good contender making only 36 Db at full load, however I might try and opt for one with a slightly more effective cooling system as I might look into overclocking more in the future. Do you have any thoughts on other coolers?

olie777

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012

I was more concerned about the physical space, some of the coolers i've seen take up a bit more real estate than i have available on my motherboard.

I've just looked into this now, it seems like quite an ideal cooler for what I need, all the reviews and testing prove that it's performance in cooling and being quiet is superior to other coolers; as well as it being cheap due to only being AMD compatible ^^

And although the look of a cooler doesn't do anything for the performance, I'd rather have something like this in my window case than one of those root-beer-brown noctuas :p

Thanks everyone for their contributions :)