RAID suggestions - new drives

Pecck

Honorable
Jun 6, 2013
I was just given two 4TB WD Enterprise drives, I currently have 4 2TB WD Green drives, and one 4TB Seagate external drive. I boot from a SSD. I backup all my movies (typically 30GB). I only have 5 SATA connectors on my MoBo and need to save one for my optical drive. So, once I plug in my boot drive and my optical I'm left with only 3 for my remaining 6 drives. BTW, I'm running OSX 10.8.4. I've never used a RAID configuration, I have read though about the difference in 0,1, and 10. From the sound of it RAID 10 would be best, but I would like to take advantage of my external 4TB drive and not let it go to waste. I'm looking to hear from others that can explain what the best scenario would be. Thanks in advance.

popatim

Titan
Hmm. aside from getting a cheap mac compatible raid 0/1 card, I assume your 6th sata port is an esata port on the back. You could use an esata to sata cable looped back in to use with the 6th drive.

Ok, wait a sec. I just reread your post and I'm confused now. You have
One SSd
Four 2tb greens
One Optical

thats 6 drives already and you said you only have 5 sata ports. I'm afraid you are going to have to be more clear on what exactly you have and if they are internal or external, how they are connected ...