Adaptec 7805 and Intel S1200BTLR

Non Disclosure

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013
I like this site! A lot of smart people here!

I haven't purchased the adaptec card yet, but I've go the intel board already up and running. I'm using 4 WD 3TB Red drives in it. And I'm not impressed with the hard drive performance.

I've used adaptec i the past and they've never let me down. But this is my first Xeon board with an E3 1220 v2 CPU in it.

My questions are a few fold:
1. Should this card work in this board?
2. Which slot should I use? This has been the big one. Will I see a performance increase by using the x16 (8 lane) over the x8 (4 lane)?
3. Which slot should it go in?

BTW, if you look on Intel's site for the latest tech info on the board, it's out of date. I found this on manualowl.com. http://www.manualowl.com/m/Intel/S1200BT/Manual/299835

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

TIA. -Michael

popatim

Titan
You do realize that Red drives are not performance drives, right?
If performance is your goal, what configuration do you have these drives in currently?
ie - if these drives are configured as individual drives, raid 0, 1, or 10 you will not see much, if any, improvement over motherbd.
In raid 5 or 6 you will have very noticable gains.

With only 4 harddrives attached you can use the 4 lane slot. Once you move to ssd arrays or much larger hdd arrays you will need to it move to the 8 lane slot.

Non Disclosure

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013
Well, with just 4, I've got them in RAID 10. I'm thinking of picking up 2/4 more and putting them into RAID 50 (Sorry, I just like the having the mirror part for extra redundancy).

But, will it work in the x16 slot?