Just built a new computer, is it worth overclocking with my current setup

allastocata

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013
Hello,

Finally got around to building myself a new computer, due to my old one FINALLY dying(yay).

My question is: Is it worth it to overclock and would the performance be noticable/worth it or would my video card be too much of a bottleneck?

My rig:
Mobo:Gigabyte Z87x-UD3H
Proc: Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
HDD: WD - Mainstream 2TB
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower
Video: Geforce GTX 650ti 1GB GDDR5
PSU: LSP Ultra 750w

I'm planning on getting a SSD next, probably Samsung, or OCZ, but after that I wasn't sure if it would be worth investing in a AIO watercooling unit and some added/improved case cooling or if it would be smarter to get a new video card.

Daniel57

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
You will need a CPU cooler, but otherwise, yes, over-clocking should be a good thing to do, besides, free performance, just be careful! :D

allastocata

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013

Yea, I was thinking a Corsair H50, but that would be another 60ish, and I would probably want to add another case fan or 2, so I would be looking at another 80ish dollars, which would almost buy my ssd or be a large chunk of a better video card, so it wouldn't exactly be "free" performance, just not sure if that money would be better spent elsewhere, or if overclocking is enough of a boost to make a big enough difference in my rig.

rRansom

Honorable
May 26, 2013
The 4670K should be a powerful part by itself. I believe a CM 212+ Evo should pretty much do the trick, just make sure to add an extra fan for a push-pull config. My rig uses a Corsair H100 [2 fans pull, 2 fans push] but I got it mainly because stock fans on air coolers and most air coolers are a bit loud for my tastes. But that's just me.

allastocata

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013

Ended up getting a CM 212 Evo, what kind of numbers do you think I could reasonably OC to, I definitely don't want to push it, thinking 4.0 should be a safe OC? I have 2 120mm and a 140mm case fan, thinking about getting another 120mm case fan for the side of my case, I think I will only be able to fit one due to the cooler size...

rRansom

Honorable
May 26, 2013
4.3Ghz should be attainable especially if you have a push+pull on your Evo. Just make sure to check your temps and voltages.