Cant Select a Best Answer? Check here.

If you cannot select a Best Answer on someone else's thread

To set a Best Answer, you must meet the minimum requirement of having 5 Best Answers of your own. This is to ensure that the people setting them are somewhat knowledgeable and to make gaming the system harder.

Do note that you cannot select any of your own posts as a Best Answer.
If you meet the requirements, it isnt your own post and still cant select a Best Answer, it is likely due to the thread type, which is explained below.

If you cant select a Best Answer on your own thread

Inside a thread you have created, the 5 Best Answer requirement is waived, you can select a BA even if you have none of your own.

Chances are good that it is set as a Discussion or Poll type rather than a Question.
You can determine its type by scrolling to the top and checking what symbol is used next to the thread title.

Discussion.
Untitledpicture3_zps505f4a8e.png

Question.
Untitledpicture4_zpsc30853f5.png

Poll.
Untitledpicture6_zps264dfc91.png

So in this case, the thread is a Discussion type.
Derp_zps3ef813cd.png

If your thread (or someone else's where you feel a Best Answer is appropriate) is a Discussion type and you wish to give a contributing member a Best Answer, you will have to ask the Moderator team to change the thread type.

How to avoid this issue in future threads.

When you create a thread, there is a checkbox relating as to what type of thread you want too create, which will determine whether a Best Answer can be set.

Untitledpicture_zps97385f1d.png

Depending on the forum you are posting in, this box will be automatically checked or unchecked when you start creating the thread, so make sure its set to what you want it to be.
Setting a thread to Poll will automatically uncheck the box.

If you want to change a thread type.

At this time it is not possible to change a Poll thread
You will have to ask a member of the Mod team to do it, you can do so here or PM a Moderator directly.
At the bottom of every forum is a Moderator list, our profile accounts will have a link to PM us.

D

Deleted member 217926

Done.

D

Deleted member 217926

Done.

ram1009

Distinguished
I've noticed recently that many (most) responses to questions have a rather conspicuous green block that says "select as best answer". None of my responses have such a block. Why not and how do I change this?

D

Deleted member 217926

Since the forum changed over to the new platform anyone with 5 best answers can select a best answer. It's not something everyone agrees ( myself included ) with but it is the new policy and it's going to stand that way. There is some abuse but we are very good at catching it and in all honesty there is much less abuse than I expected when the new platform was rolled out.

ram1009

Distinguished
I believe that you catch some abusive behavior but there's no way you could know how much you don't catch. I see the wrong answer getting selected as "best" too frequently to suit me. We are talking about opinions after all, however I do think there is some favoritism occurring.

The moderators do look out for Best Answer gaming and abuse, mainly in the form of people having multiple accounts and giving themselves BA's. As for whether a BA is correct or is even the best of the answers, that's largely for the community to decide. The Mods cant be everywhere and experts at everything. You can overrule an existing BA decision and assign another if you disagree with it.

Also, thanks for bringing up the 5 BA requirement and self BA'ing, I'l add it to the OP.

XxSCARHx

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013

thanks for trying anyhow